Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"

This weekend's trip was focused on finally loosing our Straits of Juan de Fuca virginity.

Saturday, began with attempting to fix the roller furler. As previously noted, a few weeks ago the main jib halyard snapped and wrapped itself around the furler head. I purchased a rope halyard to replace the wire halyard - which of course meant the job detail required climbing the mast.

While I have the ATN top climber, I am not keen of heights to begin with (keen as in deathly afraid of heights). Luckily Grady and Steve were over on "Slingshot" and decided to drop by. Grady squirreled his way up top for us.

The process was more complicated than just cutting the halyard as we had no real snippers to cut the frayed end off the halyards. So, we pulled the halyard to the pulpit and then taped up the replacement to the halyard at top of the mast - which meant when we pulled it through - no possibility of the frayed halyard to get into the mast and shred the other electrical wires.

As luck would have it - we had to get Grady down as quick as he went up as the swaying of the boat didn't agree with the hangover he had .

The halyard replacement did pull through - however the remaining portion of the old halyard would not exit the mast. As such, I had to get yanked up. Mortified is not the word for it - but luckily after 20 minutes or so - I managed to get the wire halyard out of the mast and to the deck.

Roller furler is still not working however - and after another hour or two trying this that and the other - and being exhausted, decided to call the first evening of the trip as a motoring event.

Dana, Sharon and her friend Sarah were the guests on this trip. All of them are nurses or doctors in the medical field. There is one thing to state besides the fact everyone is just all around bubbly - 5 large bags of food and tons of good beer / wine were brought by them. No real secret ingredients for the Iron Chef challenge less artichoke hearts; however since Sharon is allergic to a wide variety of stuff - challenging in that manner on its own.

We depart around 7PM on Sat evening, the goal is to hit Everett Marina by midnite. We accomplish that task with no major issues - less relying heavily on the Raymarine charting to nail the narrow harbor entrance. The gals drove the boat as I prepped and cooked dinner. Roasted red peppers, and chicken over pasta (the pasta had artichoke hearts within it - which is how I tackled that ingredient)... We moored at the guest docks for the evening at Everett - wine and dined until 4:30 in the morning.

Wake up around 8:30 AM - do the showers, trash, and southern style breakfast. Noonish we are getting ready to depart, when as I was walking down the guest dock after offloading the last bit of trash - I noticed a small powerboat with two youngins onboard - trying to get the attention of passing power boats. Their engine had died. So - we towed them down to their slip vicinity.

Then it was onward to Deception Pass with a slight emergency maneuver within the locale around Hope Island. Amazing how shallow the water was getting - and again the charts got us where we needed.

Deception Pass crossing was awesome and hair raising at the same time.

We took the south end of the Bridge, mindful of the eddies that were swirling like mad. A little bit of rocking and rolling but I really appreciated that deep keel as we stayed balanced and on course through and greeted the Straits of Juan de Fuca with beaming smiles.

Skyline Marina was our stop that evening - couldn't find guest moorage so we just stayed at the fuel dock. Prior to entry we deployed one of the non D-ring Mustang PFDs for training. I have two Stearns rope kits that I wanted to make sure that if for some reason any of the other three Lifeslings we have could not be used or were lost that tying a rope to a life preserver would work as a backup. Pleased to say - when we tossed - 10 seconds later - the PFD inflated...test Sat and verified that it could work in a pitch.

Did dinner (flank steak with rice) and a movie and called it a early night.

Woke up this morning at 6:30am - as we had to leave early to get Sarah home before her 7PM shift tonite. And as I write - currently entering Admiralty Inlet ....

Will post up pictures later...

Ironically - the sumer sailing season - began and ended with Skyline Marina. I didn't quite know where we were - until walking to the store - then it dawned on me this was where Charlie's boat was when I did the first sail of the season his "Oh Joy". Kinda cool actually!

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to our neck of the woods Jody..
Old 09-01-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Nice trip Jody.
Old 09-02-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nice, I hope ya get a good breeze back down South Jody.
Old 09-02-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Nice trip. Looking forward to the pics.
Old 09-02-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Pictures

Currently in Edmonds at the Edmond Marina. Dropped off Sara and Sharon, and opted to stay the evening since Dana offered to pay for dinner (thank you).

Met up with Marty (blt2ski) and his wife Cheryl - as I saw him coming in as we were docking at the guest dock. As always Marty's boat is looking as sharp as ever. Dana and I had dinner with them at Anthony's during the evening and did some catching up...

Afterwards, we retired and called it a early non-party night

Here are some pictures:

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-100_3324.jpg

Towing the little ski boat on our departure from Everett.

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-img_1563.jpg

Safari gal and the Miss fake pony tail wanna be viking gal.

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-dscn5536.jpg

Sara and Sharon

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-dscn5538.jpg

Me and Dana

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-dscn5608.jpg

Success - through Deception Pass !

S/V "
" -

Old 09-02-2008

More Pictures

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-100_3381.jpg

Mon morning at Skylne Marina...

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-dscn5518.jpg

Sunset Sun after crossing Deception...

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-dscn5524.jpg

Docked at guest pier at Everett

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-dscn5574.jpg

Hope Island I do believe

Trip Report: Live from "Hello Gorgeous"-dscn5603.jpg

Entering Deception Pass...

S/V "
" -

Old 09-02-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Great photos!!

And my hat's off to anyone that has transited Deception Pass -- from above on the bridge and down along the shoreline (lots of logs piled up) it looks like a sailor's nightmare.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Enjoyed it Jody...Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
It was a good time at dinner too.

You know Jody, dana is a cute gal.........ok, will shut up now!

Off to work!

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.