SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest & Alaska (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/)
-   -   New project...Your thoughts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/49048-new-project-your-thoughts.html)

artbyjody 11-18-2008 03:54 PM

New project...Your thoughts

So, I don't know about many of you - but I find the management of crew to be a daunting task. I kinda hate calling people even though I have that unlimited plan on my phone. I am even worse at emails as my email contacts list is literally huge.

Being a programmer and having a fairly good taste of online technology, I am now implementing a site dedicated to solving those issues with finding and retaining crew for both races and weekend cruises.

Curious of what things you find both as the "consumer" - ie looking to crew, and as a skipper that you find helpful and what things you wish could be made easier.

Sure there are sites like Sailnet, Facebook, Craigslist, Myspace etc...

All lack to a degree because of some of the limitations. I had thought with the Meetup.org site that it would work well, and it did until political things reared its head, and to start a group for the boat - wasn't a financial brainer for me at least.

My new site - I am hoping to get going over the next few days (considering I started this at 11PM last night - pretty pleased), but would be interested in your comments and if their is something I can into it to assist some of the other PNWers in similar situations...see sig

Perithead 11-18-2008 04:08 PM

I don't have any real comments yet, but sounds pretty interesting jody.

Cant wait to see it, post a link as soon as you can!

AjariBonten 11-18-2008 04:30 PM

I think it's a great concept.

Especially if you could search by region, or home port;
by skill level maybe;

and definitely by commitment. By that I mean, looking for an extended berth on a cruise, and short weekend stint, an overnight race, or an afternoon racing, etc.

Best of luck with that, I am sure we'll all benefit from your attempt, succeed or fail.

Fred

ckgreenman 11-18-2008 04:50 PM

Need a place to host it? As long as bandwidth is pretty low I can pony up server space.

artbyjody 11-18-2008 05:10 PM

Actually hosting it myself... LINK

I don't think I am quite ready to go regional with it, right now I am more interested on how to combine the various things people look for both skipper and crew for a single yacht and make it co-hesive for all parties. Just I am in a weird scenario where the cruising and the racing are truly different elements and being able to address alot of the lack of the ability to truly communicate voice / email - figuring with online events and the likes it can make sense for those wishing to crew in either scenario and make my life easier ! :D

Nice link Perit - lotsa work went into that!

Perithead 11-23-2008 07:07 PM

How is it coming jody?

Do you a link yet where we can view the progress?

Im pretty anxious to see what you can put together.....

Thanks for the compliment too.

artbyjody 11-23-2008 07:16 PM

It is coming along so far - and used successfully to rsvp crew members this weekend. It includes forums a wiki, and other stuff all in various stages.

Using the DNN framework to build it, but so far - it is doing its job and I am much happier now that I no longer have to wade through emails and can have contact info at my fingertips...

As it expands it will get more elaborate (such as the wiki portion) but so far I am pleased overall. JUst have to get on the development team for some of those modules so I can modify the supposedly open source code...

you can see it here - S/V "Hello Gorgeous" > Home

Perithead 12-01-2008 10:13 AM

Just took a look at the site, looks like its coming along good.

I have a question: Is it just for people who want to sail on "Hello Gorgeous"? Or is for anyone and any boat?

artbyjody 12-01-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perithead (Post 409679)
Just took a look at the site, looks like its coming along good.

I have a question: Is it just for people who want to sail on "Hello Gorgeous"? Or is for anyone and any boat?

Currently is simply for my boat - such that organizing crew, getting info out there and the likes is one central location and I have my crew list / contact info right there for whatever event. I will be expanding it so that it could work for other boats for say a weekend outing with other owners. Have to work the kinks out first with it being a solo venture with this.

Currently it can host other boats just they would have their own subdomain and wouldn't be tied to my boat...

Perithead 12-01-2008 08:34 PM

Well that sounds pretty good.

Let us know when we should come back and check out anything new!