Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
New project...Your thoughts

So, I don't know about many of you - but I find the management of crew to be a daunting task. I kinda hate calling people even though I have that unlimited plan on my phone. I am even worse at emails as my email contacts list is literally huge.

Being a programmer and having a fairly good taste of online technology, I am now implementing a site dedicated to solving those issues with finding and retaining crew for both races and weekend cruises.

Curious of what things you find both as the "consumer" - ie looking to crew, and as a skipper that you find helpful and what things you wish could be made easier.

Sure there are sites like Sailnet, Facebook, Craigslist, Myspace etc...

All lack to a degree because of some of the limitations. I had thought with the Meetup.org site that it would work well, and it did until political things reared its head, and to start a group for the boat - wasn't a financial brainer for me at least.

My new site - I am hoping to get going over the next few days (considering I started this at 11PM last night - pretty pleased), but would be interested in your comments and if their is something I can into it to assist some of the other PNWers in similar situations...see sig

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
I don't have any real comments yet, but sounds pretty interesting jody.

Cant wait to see it, post a link as soon as you can!

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 11-18-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
I think it's a great concept.

Especially if you could search by region, or home port;
by skill level maybe;

and definitely by commitment. By that I mean, looking for an extended berth on a cruise, and short weekend stint, an overnight race, or an afternoon racing, etc.

Best of luck with that, I am sure we'll all benefit from your attempt, succeed or fail.

Fred
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-18-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Need a place to host it? As long as bandwidth is pretty low I can pony up server space.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 11-18-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Actually hosting it myself... LINK

I don't think I am quite ready to go regional with it, right now I am more interested on how to combine the various things people look for both skipper and crew for a single yacht and make it co-hesive for all parties. Just I am in a weird scenario where the cruising and the racing are truly different elements and being able to address alot of the lack of the ability to truly communicate voice / email - figuring with online events and the likes it can make sense for those wishing to crew in either scenario and make my life easier !

Nice link Perit - lotsa work went into that!

S/V "
" -

Old 11-23-2008
Montgomery 17

How is it coming jody?

Do you a link yet where we can view the progress?

Im pretty anxious to see what you can put together.....

Thanks for the compliment too.

Old 11-23-2008

It is coming along so far - and used successfully to rsvp crew members this weekend. It includes forums a wiki, and other stuff all in various stages.

Using the DNN framework to build it, but so far - it is doing its job and I am much happier now that I no longer have to wade through emails and can have contact info at my fingertips...

As it expands it will get more elaborate (such as the wiki portion) but so far I am pleased overall. JUst have to get on the development team for some of those modules so I can modify the supposedly open source code...

you can see it here - S/V "Hello Gorgeous" > Home

S/V "
" -

Old 12-01-2008
Montgomery 17

Just took a look at the site, looks like its coming along good.

I have a question: Is it just for people who want to sail on "Hello Gorgeous"? Or is for anyone and any boat?

Old 12-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead View Post
Just took a look at the site, looks like its coming along good.

I have a question: Is it just for people who want to sail on "Hello Gorgeous"? Or is for anyone and any boat?
Currently is simply for my boat - such that organizing crew, getting info out there and the likes is one central location and I have my crew list / contact info right there for whatever event. I will be expanding it so that it could work for other boats for say a weekend outing with other owners. Have to work the kinks out first with it being a solo venture with this.

Currently it can host other boats just they would have their own subdomain and wouldn't be tied to my boat...

S/V "
" -

Old 12-01-2008
Montgomery 17

Well that sounds pretty good.

Let us know when we should come back and check out anything new!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.