La Conner Christmas Boat Parade - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 12-14-2008 Thread Starter
the pointy end is the bow

La Conner Christmas Boat Parade

We took the boat into town and tied up to a dock near the pub to watch the annual boat parade. It started snowing around the time the parade started. This is what we woke up to this morning. Cold!

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-14-2008
Courtney the Dancer

Doesn't sound like it's going to warm up any time soon either-
NE 25-35K with gusts to 60 thru tomorrow night and colder, lows 10-16F.

The Christmas ship with Santa Claus arrived this afternoon at Blakely Island, we had hot cider and a pot luck for the Lions Club from Bellingham that does this every year. The 100' boat that they were on while crossing Haro St. was moving so violently that several of them were seasick and one man was injured when he was tossed airborne and landed on a chair.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #3 of 31 Old 12-14-2008

OK.. This is a slight thread hijack..

Right now I have two of those small moisture removers/heaters on my boat in Edmonds.... Probably 200 watts between them...

It's gonna be cold... Do I need to do something more over the next couple days to keep my boat from freezing?

I'm pretty reluctant to put a "real" space heater in there, due to the risk of fire..

I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

David

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #4 of 31 Old 12-14-2008
Just another Moderator

David - I wouldn't worry about putting a quality heater (with a properly protected circuit and a heavy duty extension cord) on your boat for the next week or so.. this is gonna be a cold one for a while yet.

We drove up to Squamish to take part in the SQ YC Christmas Carol cruise this past weekend, below is what we saw on Howe Sound from the highway. The pic really doesn't do it justice, a nearby station (Pam Rocks) was recording steady wind in the 40s, gusts to 54 knot at the time.

In the end the cruise was cancelled (blowing up to 38 knots at the marina too) and we simply partied in the clubhouse.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 31 Old 12-14-2008 Thread Starter
the pointy end is the bow

Oh, geez! Can you imagine the wind chill out there.

Quote:
I'm pretty reluctant to put a "real" space heater in there, due to the risk of fire..
It's spooky to leave an electric space heater on, but I feel a lot better about these newer ones. I drained most of the water out of the water pump, which is out in the cockpit locker. I put a trouble light in that locker right next to the water pump to protect that. In the cabin, I have a small ceramic electric heater that has a low and hi setting. On low, I think it's only 500 watts or something like that. I worry more about a power outage down at the dock more than an electrical fire. The electrical system on the boat can handle running the water heater and the battery charger running full bore, so it ought to handle a small watt space heater just fine.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
post #6 of 31 Old 12-14-2008
Courtney the Dancer

I'm hoping to be able to move the boat back into the marina tomorrow after the minus tide tonight so I can hook up the electric heater. I've had to run the diesel furnace since Friday night to keep things from freezing, and I really don't like to leave it on when I'm not on the boat, but haven't had an option. Now if the wind will just die down enough to get it in the slip I can rest easy, unless the power goes out. Winter sucks, and it's still officially only fall!

Faster, good call to cancel going out, beautiful picture but man does that look cold!

John

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #7 of 31 Old 12-14-2008

OK... Space heater is getting turned on tomorrow..

Thanks, all...

David

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #8 of 31 Old 12-15-2008

David - just make sure you have something to handle the moisture that will be generated. Dehumidifier or that chemical / ball stuff that West Marine sells (which does work ok)... otherwise all you will have is condensation to deal with - and not pretty ....

You'll be ok with your boat as most everything has adequate "insulation" for the core components. Space heater in the saloon (most of your boats water systems are there) will fair you well... Just close the remaining seacocks you have - and things will be a-ok...

-- Jody

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

post #9 of 31 Old 12-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
David - just make sure you have something to handle the moisture that will be generated...
Another trick that has worked well for us is to run a few cabin fans with the electric heater on. The circulation of the air seems to minimize condensation on cold surfaces. (But our boat has an "open" interior, so it's easy to get the air circulating in a consistent vortex -- might not work as well in a compartmentalized boat).

P.S. Erps and Faster, Great photos!! I believe those reported windspeeds too -- no thanks!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
post #10 of 31 Old 12-15-2008
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Another trick that has worked well for us is to run a few cabin fans with the electric heater on. The circulation of the air seems to minimize condensation on cold surfaces. (But our boat has an "open" interior, so it's easy to get the air circulating in a consistent vortex -- might not work as well in a compartmentalized boat).

P.S. Erps and Faster, Great photos!! I believe those reported windspeeds too -- no thanks!
If you can get a hold of some recycled computer muffin fans they work great.. low power draw, quiet, and just enough air movement without lowering the wind chill

JR - we're into a week of sub zero (C) conditions here - relatively rare but mild by east coast standards I'm sure..... Plenty cold enough for us!!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.