Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I reckon that was a stunt devised by you two simply to give this thread a bump.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Reckon away, your furriness....... for once, you'd be wrong

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-31-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I reckon that was a stunt devised by you two simply to give this thread a bump.
Ohhhh

myyyy

gowwwwd.

I'm shocked to the very core than you would even think this way...we're not like you blokes down there...up here everything's above board and then some...everything, honesty is what makes us tick. Well, ok, sometimes not but in this case, above bored all the way.

bump!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 09-01-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Well if two such good and honest citizens of that fine former jewel in her majesty's crown say it is so then so it must be ....

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-14-2011
Hmmm

Well Jedediah was every bit worth the cruise south. Been here before but always just passing through. We decided to hit the Texada Boat Club in Van Anda the first night. In the morning we got a nice push down the east side of Texada and around the bottom with a nice beam reach across to Bull Passage.

This is a wonderful part of the west coast to say the least and quite different than only a stones throw north. These islands are quite wind swept judging by the tree fall and I can only imagine the winters here.

This is the old homestead in Home Bay, we hiked here from Deep Bay.

The wild sheep on Jedediah Island. These guys are all over the place, I wonder where they get water, never did figure that out.

Wild goats behind my boat...Stern tied in Deep Bay. We hiked through the bush looking for these beasts catching obscured sights here and there but to our surprise, when we sat in the cockpit later on for drinks they show up clear as a bell.

Lasqueti Island Government Dock looking down from the bar. We had good intentions to hike across the island but never made it much past the bar short of a quick hike up the road a bit. We anchored just around the point to the North and paddled here. Nice place and very interesting people.

Help yourself and pay what they ask...roadside cookie shack with a french twist. Honesty is the best policy on Lasqueti Island just up from the False Bay Government Dock.

As far as I can tell, most people don't have plates on the vehicles here. I've noticed that on many islands.

And jury-rig fenders are OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 09-14-2011
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I like the way this guy thinks. He already has the tow strap rigged and ready to go.

La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 09-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nice post Steve... glad you enjoyed Jedidiah.

We've actually never gone ashore on Lasqueti other than a quick step off at False Bay probably 20 years ago.. will have to follow up on that one.

Did you manage to find the path to the peak??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-15-2011
Hmmm

Thanks Ron, it was nice to get my wings out for a wide open run both ways. Jedediah is a perfect stop for a run to Vancouver or the other way.

I found the path (thanks) but didn't pursue it...maybe next time. Good oyster spots around Jedediah.

Lasqueti is nice...years ago I pulled into Squitty Bay at the south tip (seen from the window of a float-plane once) so we had to investigate. Tight little bay to get into and it's a good place to explore, kayak and hike through the windswept sheep trimmed south hills or all the way up the road to the top of the island.

My friends Yawl peacefully secured at Squitty Bay Government float.

Windswept & stunted trees on south Lasqueti Island

Squitty Bay Marine Park

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 09-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

I still reckon you guys are photoshopping those pics ...

Gobsmackingly beautiful. I love (albeit through gritted teeth ) to look at pics of the PNW.

Hey, someone mentioned oysters. What kind of oysters ? Rock or bottom dwellers, small or large ?

Old 09-15-2011
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I still reckon you guys are photoshopping those pics ...

Gobsmackingly beautiful. I love (albeit through gritted teeth ) to look at pics of the PNW.

Hey, someone mentioned oysters. What kind of oysters ? Rock or bottom dwellers, small or large ?
Thanks your furryness, Hope I'm not drifting off Faster's thread...but since you asked, they're large oysters here generally with new shell growth rings, so very healthy. They're rock dwellers to be pried off at low tide. Most people will tell you small is better but this is not true at all, although the winter and spring months produce better/firmer oysters. We go for the largest ones and doctor them with a special BBQ recipe.

These are my BBQ oysters with special old cheese melted on top and some other special ingredients.

This is a good oyster beach...completely white with oysters.

I fed these to someone last year and he told me many months later that this is likely the best food he has ever eaten in his life...could be an exaggeration but he seemed to be sincere.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse