Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
My dock mate in La Conner goes to Lasqueti the past couple summers to some sort of festival or fair. He says where he anchors, it's a walk of a couple of miles to the community center, but he says you don't have to walk long before someone gives you a ride. He loves it.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Ray...probably False Bay I would guess, that's where the ferry comes in. The local folks seem to be quite interesting, all you need to do is kick back at the bar and watch them...real interesting for sure. I like this island. It'd be interesting to know what that festival is. The festivals on some of the other islands farther north are usually pretty great with all the freedom you like...not anything you would see elsewhere except maybe Amsterdam.

There is no power on the island, everything is generated by solar and other means, this was a choice made my the inhabitants. The ferry out of French Creek only carries people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 09-15-2011
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The festivals on some of the other islands farther north are usually pretty great with all the freedom you like...not anything you would see elsewhere except maybe Amsterdam.
He did mention that some folks didn't think it necessary to wear clothing to the festival.

I think this is the one he goes to. Arts Fest | Lasqueti Island
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 09-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Other popular anchorages on Lasqueti include Boho Bay across from Jedidiah and Scotty Bay in behind an island near the top of the island. Scotty Bay in particular, though sometimes heavy on local vessels, is a good all-weather hidey hole. Also, the two groups of islands just off the northern tip look like an interesting fair weather possibility, with excellent kayaking on top.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-17-2011

larrytwo is on a distinguished road
Great post . Thanks for this.

Member, Canadian Coast Guard aux, unit 55. 1980/1998
Old 09-17-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytwo View Post
Great post . Thanks for this.
Great channel you have there Larry...just great. I'm out in the inlets right now with poor connection so I could only watch part of the first one but can't wait to see what you have there when I get back to civilization.

I'm in Lund often, kept my boat on the commercial float for much of last winter.

Steve

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 09-17-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I'm glad this thread of Faster's got revived. I was meaning to add something to it after unsuccessfully trying to anchor in Codfish bay. We tried three spots starting in the southern portion and moving to the north part of the bay where there was already one boat at anchor. All three times our Bruce felt and sounded like it was sliding across smooth rock, occasionally catching a bit but not securely. You might be able to get and anchor to snag and stern tie, but we gave up and went around to White Rock. We didn't get to spend any time on Jedidiah, so it's still on the list.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-20-2011

Armchairsailor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I'm glad this thread of Faster's got revived.
x2 - it's great inspiration to me. Soon, soon...
Old 01-16-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
False bay can be dangerous, unless you anchor in the north side. The Qualicum, blowing from that little gap you see in Vancouver Island, can be rough.
Boho Bay can be rough in a southeasterly. It's largely filled with a fish farm. Long bay and Home Bay are great for twin keelers . The north end of little Bull Pass is a great place to stop, if you arrive at night. Lots of swinging room in shallow enough water to anchor in. Deep Bay blows like hell in a strong westerly, but no swell.
I spent most of October, November and December cruising this area. I usually spend a couple of months a year in this area.
There was a surprising increase in the number of cruisers passing thru here this past November and December, mostly retired cruisers. .
Faster likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-19-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2012
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising: Jedidiah Island

Have to chime in that Jedidiah is one of my favorite places! First went there by kayak back in 99, and stayed two nights in Deep Bay last summer on Aeolus. If ever there is a testament to the benefits of land preservation, this is a shining example.

Quick story: My young boys and a friend would swim all around Deep Bay, and eventually found a few driftwood logs on the beach that were like surf boards. They then laid down on those and paddled around for what seemed like hours. They were fish! Jedidiah is just far enough north to have warm water, though not quite Desolation Sound.

And the hike to the peaks is a must. As of last summer, the containers were over filled with paper and so they were spilling out the messages people had left over the years. Sort of a shame. But inevitable. Don't know that anyone has the job of dealing with it.

My family will be stopping there again when we bring Aeolus back south from Desolation Sound to Bainbridge. Can't wait to see the meadow, Home Bay, and all the beauty of Jedidiah. Thank you to everyone who made this park possible!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.