Port Angeles to Victoria, BC - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 05-02-2009
On the hard

Yeah, I can tell ya about sailing the other direction when a clear air gale came up against an ebb. Not fun at all...
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 05-07-2009

I've done that trip out of Port Townsend a couple of times on a 27 foot Cheoy Lee. Three out of 4 legs of the two trips were great, the one that sucked was going there against 25 kt winds. It was comedy of errors; when the wind and waves picked up, I was on the bow bringing down the headsail when the autotiller failed, the boat started going in circles, the sail was dragging in the water, my safety line got stuck on something and when I was on my hands and knees trying to drag in the sail, my lifevest inflation handle got hooked on the anchor chain and it inflated. Now I was choking, being bounced all over the place, on my stomach, laughing maniaclly like the gofer in caddy shack. By the time I got to Victoria; did I mention I also pissed all over myself steering the boat with my knees going in an empty vitamin water bottle? But anyone, by the time I got to Victoria I was ready to place a hefty C-4 charge on the boat and sink it!

But, the other legs of the two trips were beautiful and Victoria is a nice little city. When you go to customs pier and call, bring a pen and paper and the boat's registration number, both times I was there they wanted the number and they gave me a number to display in the window; they never came out to the boat.

A little more advice; if you need reading glasses to see the combination of the lock that is on the boat, store an extra pair and a flashlight in the cockpit so you alleviate the necessity of walking around the pier in a towel looking for someone to open the boat for you because your only pair of reading glasses fell into the water off the pier while you were bending over to snug up the stern line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My son, the Marine!

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
John Adams
post #13 of 14 Old 05-07-2009
On the hard

I've had trips like that....
post #14 of 14 Old 05-08-2009
Courtney the Dancer

Harry- LOL, at least you were laughing! Victoria is a great place to visit, almost like going to a foreign country . Every time we go to Canada we talk about moving there. I've yet to get my Juan de Fuca shakeup, every time has been great, but I know it's coming.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.