Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Passport Please

Just a quick reminder that as of today, passports or some other secure ID are needed to cross the border. This story from CBC has a list of the acceptable forms of ID.

Now if Wilhelm had awarded the San Juans to Canada, as he should have, we would not have this problem.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2009

carvendive is on a distinguished road
Stupid question time,
Last year while docked just behind the customs dock at Roach I had the displeasure of watching the Saturday mid-morning crowd try to clear customs. The dock and bay was CRAZY!!! Folks were cutting each other off, swearing at each other and using plenty of hand jesters. Several times boats would come so close as to send first mates racing for the rail with boathook and fender in hand. We even got to see one collide with the other. Thankfully no one went over the rail. Seeing everyone's tempers flair, it was apparent that it's good no one carries cannons anymore.

Then throw in the occasional Seaplane landing, and coming up to the end of the customs dock - yow!

I was lucky to have arrived the day before but it got me to wonder. If the skipper of a vessel deems that it's too dangerous to come to the dock, can I anchor in the bay and take my dingy to the customs dock?
Old 06-01-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvendive View Post

I was lucky to have arrived the day before but it got me to wonder. If the skipper of a vessel deems that it's too dangerous to come to the dock, can I anchor in the bay and take my dingy to the customs dock?
Not really.

The last time I arrived at Roche Harbour, on a pleasure trip with some friends, I made the mistake of fessing up to what I did for a living. I should have said I am retired, which is true. The customs and immigration official got a little suspicious and asked me how I met my girl friend. I explained that we met on a squash court. When he came on board to check everyone out, he asked Marilyn how we met. She gave the same answer. he also asked my friends how we met - we went back to university days.

At this point I am avoiding the San Juans while teaching cruise and learns. I need to check out how I legitimately can cross while working.

The official also indicated that, as a old hand at Roche, he was pretty relaxed, but that some of the new officials might be a little more officious.

They may want to check the vessel for contraband: booze, apples, potatoes, oranges - the dangerous goods. They do check Canadian boats for the cruising permit decal.

The last time a cleared at Friday a number of years ago, we just showed a passports via a video camera. They did not come down to the boat. I am not sure that is still viable.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-01-2009

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
Nexus

Get the Nexus card. Its cheap, easy to get, and you can clear in pretty much anywhere you can get a cellphone signal (oddly there are more restictions for where you can clear in coming back into Canada).

NEXUS Program Description - CBP.gov