Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Labor Day weekend in the San Juans

Greetings,

Just back from ten days in the San Juans. We found something new this trip. We were on the beach at Clark Island talking to another boater who asked if we had seen the "old mine" on Orcas Island? I told him I was aware that there were some on the west shore, but he pointed south to a nearby shore and said there was one there too. He gave me a visual landmark, which I later took a hand bearing to and plotted it on the chart. I got out a local cruising reference to see if there was any mention of it and saw that there was none (Gunkholing San Juans). So when we left the next morning, we went looking for this reported mine. When we arrived at the referenced feature, we didn't see anything that looked like a mine and we thought the guy had been pulling our leg. We followed the shoreline a little further west and found the mine. Here is a screen shot of its location that includes a lat/lon:

and here is a picture from Nikko of the mine remnants:

I rowed ashore and found a second mine that went back into the hill about 40 feet along with some old steel rails on the beach.

We had a campfire 7 of the 10 nights we were out. What can I say. I like sitting around a campfire in the evening. Here is a campfire on Jones Island with Nikko tied up to a state mooring buoy in the background.

We spent two nights at Sucia Island. Here is a Shallow Bay sunset:

We also spent a night in Reid Harbor, Stuart Island and walked out to the Turn Pt. Lighthouse.

Along the road, we passed by the Stuart Island gift shop, which consisted of a chest of goods along the road. You picked out the trinket you like and in the zip lock bag with your choice is an envelope with an bill for the goods that you mail in later when you get back home. Here is Sandy at the store:

At Garrison Bay, I took Nikko, which draws 6 feet of water into water that was only 5'6" deep. That was on our way out at the juncture with Mosquito Pass. I cut a corner and Nikko came to an abrupt stop. So much for the brand new bottom paint I just put on. Anyway, my ego took a severe beating as we sat there for the next two hours waiting for enough water to get her back off. I rowed our primary anchor off the deep beam and attached a halyard to the anchor chain to heel us over and get us off a little sooner. It worked well.

The wind came up the last two days and we were actually stuck at the dock at Anacortes for a half day while the wind blew as much as 39 knots. We were waiting for the wind to get below 20 knots so we could get the boat out of the slip without hitting anything expensive. I can collide with things with pin point accuracy going forward in Nikko, but backing her in a cross wind does not give me the option of aiming for the least expensive property. Anyway, back to the real world tomorrow.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 09-07-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow erps - that looks like a great time! When you said "mine" I was expecting a rusty, spiked ball with Swiss markings evilly waiting blow up unsuspecting stinkpotters.

Thanks for the pics dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-07-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yeah it was blowing this weekend. An early taste of things to come.

Old 09-07-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Very nice. I have not been down in a couple of years. I am still trying to figure out how I can take a cruise and learn into the San Juans - legally.

Remember - there are two kinds of sailors: those who have been aground, and those who are about ro go aground. I am in the former.

Is Rosario Resort open yet?

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-07-2009

Quote:
Is Rosario Resort open yet?
I went up East Sound in the work boat in August to take a look at the resort to see if it was open yet, as Sandy and I have gone there for our anniversary before, and we would like to do it again. I didn't see any activity at the upper resort pool, but I could see some boats and activities down by the marina pool, so it looks like the marina portion is open at least.

Here's a link:

Rosario Resort Marina - Orcas Island Marina - San Juan Islands Marina
La Conner, WA

Old 09-07-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I think that the marina has been open throughout. A friend went last spring and had problem getting a slip.

Thanks for the update and link.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-07-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nice report, Ray... glad you're back on the water.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-08-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Camp fire by the water.....now that really is about as good as it gets.....

Thanks

(love the the ever alert faithful hound......he/she a Boston ?)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-08-2009

Quote:
(love the the ever alert faithful hound......he/she a Boston ?)
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

Old 09-08-2009

Wiley1 is on a distinguished road
To my mind one of the best cruising areas in the world, especially after Labor Day weekend and before school lets out in the summer. The Gulf Islands fit in the same category. Nice pictures, thanks.

Did you get to see Turn Pt at full ebb tide? Pretty amazing. We made the trip to Reid Hbr, Stuart Island from the dock at Mystery Bay, Marrowstone Island in about 10 hours without a breath of wind the whole trip. Engine at idle, "current sailing". That Canadian Current Atlas is super valuable when planning cruises.
Bests,
Wiley

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.