How long does it take to motor from Des Moines to Lake Washington? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009

nskinn is on a distinguished road
How long does it take to motor from Des Moines to Lake Washington?

Deleted

Last edited by nskinn; 10-12-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It looks about 30 miles... there's some nasty weather about this week and you'd be well advised to check carefully before committing to this trip. Don't know what boat, but figure on 4-5 knots (bound to be some tide and wind against at some point) and in flat water the distance says 6-8 hours. Your ground speed could be much less at times.

You have limited daylight now too, so that's another factor and if you get held up or run into problems (quite possible on a new-to-you boat) you really don't want to be doing this in the dark.

It would be really good if you could line up someone with experience, not only for the locks but for the whole trip.

Please check the weather forecast, and if it's not perfect, leave it for another day....
EDIT.. just checked, and Sunday's outlook is actually not bad.. but it could change. Keep an eye on it!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-29-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Going from DesMoines, Iowa to Washington takes 30 minutes?
That's with the mast already down?
Old 10-29-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Going from DesMoines, Iowa to Washington takes 30 minutes?
That's with the mast already down?
Nah... the mast will be up until the first overpass!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-29-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You will have two hrs to go from the entry to the locks at best, maybe 3 hrs with a smaller boat like yours to get thru montlake cut. Then Lk Wa is about 24 miles long, so depending upon where you are heading from the 520 bridge, add that to your time. I would swag 2-4 hrs from Des Moines to shilshoal and the entrance to the locks. Again, depending upon tide with or against you, wind direction etc. A heavy south wind, you may be beter to sail north, then obviously, I hope motor thru the locks to the lake. Then from there, north or south, wind depending, motor or sail to moorage. Figure an hour in a smaller boat to I90 from 520, Kirkland about the same, add another hour to Kenmore north of kirklandor renton to the south of I90.

Also, not sure where you live, but if you can go by the locks, they have a really nice pamphlet with info on what to expect, have with you etc when going thru, it may also be online some how too. 48 north had a good article a few yrs back. not sure if it is online in there archives or not too.

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 10-29-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2009

nskinn is on a distinguished road
Deleted

Last edited by nskinn; 10-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
To get a close measure of you mast height, take a 50' tape to the top of the mast via a halyard. then pull the tape down to the water at the beam. This will be a bit on the long side....ie if you are really say 30', this measure will be 32-33 or there abouts.........at least you wll be safe with this measure for bridges. If you signal or call the bridge, and they can tell you are low, they will not open, and will radio or say back your ok.

If you do not have a 50' tape, go to fxsails, they probably have you sail measurements. One will be the mast ht from deck to the top for a jib. measure from the deck to the waterline, add a foot, max 2' for additional on the top, and you will again, be pretty close.

Another option if you are lucky, if more than one sailboat is going thru when you do, stay up with them, as they will open the bridges for them as a group, get in the middle, then you know you have it made, whether you need it or not.

Freemont would be my worry. Other than that, with a 23' boat, you are talking 30'ish feet at the most........doing swag. could be 35. My 30'r is 42, and I have a reasonably tall mast.

Marty
Old 10-30-2009

Tatsuo is on a distinguished road
I might be able to help you out with that on sunday, where are you headed on lake washington? If your nervous about going through the locks then shoot for a later time to go through them, its very relaxing to go through them when your the only boat.
Old 10-31-2009

Tatsuo is on a distinguished road
My girlfriend has just informed me that we are hosting a dinner party on Sunday so I would not be able to do it. Sorry for the misleading information.
Old 10-31-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
We used to moor the boat at Newport Shores and we figured 3 hours from/to the Locks. Make sure you have the necessary equipment for the locks: fenders for both sides, 50' mooring lines (IIRC). I would strongly urge you to not try to go through the locks by yourself in a new (to you) boat unless you have a lot of experience locking through (doesn't sound like it). The bridges respond to horn signals or on Ch. 13 (low power). Good luck, have fun with the new boat.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse