Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
questionable winter trips in BC

Hi

anyone have any experiences sailing to Barkley Sound or Jervis/Princess Louisa Inlet in the "off season" (Nov- Mar)?

cheers

Last edited by ArgleBargle; 11-07-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Haven't tried that yet, but....

The Wickaninish Inn near Tofino does great business this time of year marketing weekend visits as "storm stays" - spend a few days in your room watching the rather impressive West Coast storms. I'd not want to be on the water anywhere near there then. It's simply a very inhospitable stretch of water this time of year.

Princess Louisa in winter is much more feasible. You'll miss the amazing views unless you get real lucky with the weather, but there'll be plenty of room on the dock! Probably be windiest in fine weather when winter outflow winds can build to gale force in all the coastal fiords. Exciting ride out of there, but a bit of a chore to get there perhaps.

Having that area to oneself does have some appeal!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-08-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I agree with Faster about West coast of Van. Is in the winter. I don't know what size boat you have but even the big 80+' commercial fishing boats avoid being out there in a storm. We got stuck in Tofino for three days, 45 knots and 20-24' seas, and that was during summer.

There is a group of power boats that goes to Princess Louisa for New Years every year, so it can be done. Definitely want to pick a favorable weather window though, and count on it being wrong .

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-08-2009

Hio

thanks for the responses

i've sailed to Princess Louisa a few times in the summer. its beautiful. thwarted in attempts to go to Barkley sound in the summer because of never ending significant westerlies that i had no interest in beating through.

i too have been (by land, not sea) to Wickaninnish Inn to watch storms in the winter. a great place, i agree. great beach. great restaurant.

never said i was planning to go to either place by sea, or even that it was smart, just wondering if anyone had been.

that being said, there are definitely more frequent easterlies this time of year (interspersed with westerlies to get home) and, looking at environment canada marine forecasts, it frankly seems easier to get to Barkley sound now than it did in july. (admittedly swimming not so good in december, tho)

perhaps one warm line to princess louisa would be the best idear, tho.
Old 11-08-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
True, you do get more easterlies now.. and with time on your side you could do the trip out the 'easy' way.... Still be an interesting ride, I reckon! and then wait for another system to ride it home.

For the record though, we didn't find the Barkley Sound swimming situation too attractive in July!!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 11-08-2009

Faster:

your diplomatically phrased points about the "interesting ride" down the straight of Juan de Fuca and summer swimming conditions are well taken. Thanks. (how did captains Drake, Cook and Vancouver ever do it right?)

princess louisa it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
True, you do get more easterlies now.. and with time on your side you could do the trip out the 'easy' way.... Still be an interesting ride, I reckon! and then wait for another system to ride it home.

For the record though, we didn't find the Barkley Sound swimming situation too attractive in July!!
Old 11-08-2009
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgleBargle View Post
Faster:

your diplomatically phrased points about the "interesting ride" down the straight of Juan de Fuca and summer swimming conditions are well taken. Thanks. (how did captains Drake, Cook and Vancouver ever do it right?)

princess louisa it is!
The exploits of all those early explorers have always amazed me... poking into places without charts (think Sand Heads, Spanish Banks, Columbia bar etc etc) in very unwieldy vessels. And how about the first time they stuck their noses into Porlier pass or Active? or the rapids up north...

If you go, when you go, have a great trip!

Old 12-17-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Princess Louisa in the winter is a must do.

I was there in Febuary on 2007 and it was spectacular at that time of year. When I was there the float was covered with about a foot of snow. The sky was clear and the mountains were snow covered. Every once in a while I would see small avalanches come down from the steep rocky mountains. At the particular time I was there, the sheet of ice started just about when you come around the steep rounded cliff on the port side before you can see the float. It was a thin sheet and as I passed through, these giant sheets would slide across and out of the way. It was no problem but having someone on the bow to break up the ice with a pike pole would be helpful. The ice did take a little bottom paint off near the water line but it wasn't a big deal. As Faster mentioned, the outflows can be a challenge. You won't get any VHF reception while there, so if your there a few days, you may be in for some surprising winds once you clear Malibu Rapids. It's unlikely you will run into any boats up there except the watchman at the lodge at Malibu Rapids.

Well worth the trip in the winter, I give it 5 stars out of 5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 02-01-2010
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
In Jan 2009 we took a month trip and tried to go to Princess Louisa. We encountered slush prior to the rapids and then the inlet was completely iced over PRIOR to McDonald Island. We ended up at the Young Life Camp docks overnight because we couldn't get to the anchorages and were on the wrong side of the rapids with dark coming.

It *was* particularly cold that year and many other years people have made it in January.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.