Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010

KeltiC is on a distinguished road
Pender Harbour to Desolation Sound

Hi, my job is to find out where the gas docks are in this area and where we can get provisions. I've been online and so far have not had much luck. Maybe I need to spend more time searching but thought this might be easier and quicker. Thanks.
Any other useful and/or interesting info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2010

noreault is on a distinguished road
There are three location with easy access to fuel. Beach Gardens at Grief Point, it is only open July and August. Grief Point is just south of Powell River. The Powell River Marina, located at the BC Ferry Terminal in Westview. The last option outside of Desolation is Lund. If you stop at Lund visit Nancy's Bakery, great bread, breakfast and lunch.

Inside Desolation you can get fuel at Refuge Cove.

At the Texada Boat Club you can get fuel but would need to use Jerry cans and have a fair walk.
Old 07-08-2010

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
Old 07-08-2010

Oh! And one more thing:
What are the docks like at these places? Are they easy to get into?
Do you know what time they open up?
I'd imagine they would be quite busy in the summer time.

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Fuel is also available at the Gorge Harbour Marina in, of course, Gorge Harbour on Cortez Island. This marina has been extensively upgraded and was a pleasant experience last summer.

Best provisioning (for access and price) would be Comox (on the way) but at Powell River (actually Westview) there are shuttles, cabs and on several occasions we've been offered rides back to the dock by a person in the checkout line. Refuge is very convenient but can get busy.. as an alternative you might check out the store at Squirrel Cove (just outside the entrance to the actual Squirrel Cove - for groceries/produce but not fuel)

Another excellent provision spot is Heriot Bay on Quadra, near Rebecca Spit. A short walk to the store and they routinely deliver you back down with your goods. There's a great old consignment store nearby that's worth a visit too. Fuel is available here also at the Heriot Bay Resort marina.

The store at Vananda (Texada Boat Club) is not bad, a 5 minute walk. This is a recommended stop and an interesting place to wander about.. Great blackberries in August!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-08-2010

Thanks!! Great info!
I have to be at work in an hour and a half...and still have to eat and shower!! Otherwise, I'd still be here 'googling' the places you've mentioned!
It's great to get info and tips from people who've been there! They usually know all the good places!!! I look into these more when I get home from work!
So, thanks again! Hope your day is a good one!
Old 07-08-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltiC View Post
Oh! And one more thing:
What are the docks like at these places? Are they easy to get into?
Do you know what time they open up?
I'd imagine they would be quite busy in the summer time.

Thanks again.
Most fuel docks open by 8 am, often sooner. They are all pretty accessible - of course they get busy but for the most part those waiting 'in line' are decent about it. It's just frustrating sometimes when you just need 30-40L and you're waiting for someone to load on 2-3 thousand litres...

Most transient moorage spots are quite accessible, for the most part up there they have linear docks, not fingers. Rafting is accepted/expected on the local harbour authority docks, and sometimes commercial marinas will allow it if the weather is bad or you're with a group. Don't expect a rate reduction, though.

The good thing is that there are almost always people around to lend a hand if you run into difficulty. But continue to work on your docking skills as a team and by the end of the season you'll be saying "No thanks, we're fine" to all those outstretched arms!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)