SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Internet/cell update - Desolation Sound

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jackdale 
#1 · (Edited)
Just an update for all you PNW Desolation Sound Cruisers.

I noticed as I rounded the top of Malaspina a new cell tower right on Sarah point overlooking Desolation Sound so I was hopeful and it's true. So for all those interested: Right now I'm floating at the mouth of Roscoe Bay with strong signals. To clarify, I have Telus for my cell and Rogers for my internet stick and both are very good. not sure if they're sharing the same tower but in any case I get them both very well.

Prior to this, Twin Islands was the deepest I could get into Desolation without running out of steam. I will update this thread as I tread deeper into the wilderness.

About to enter Rosco Bay, may loose it inside but we'll see.

Steve

[edit] am I addicted to communication....makes me ponder the fact that I can actually get high from this discovery. It's not like I'm discovering a new land or anything like that. Is this what we've become? I hope not!

#2 ·
That tower has been there for a while. I just spoke with a friend who got great coverage at Melanie Cove on Telus. The Rogers folks were not quite so fortunate.

#3 ·
That tower has been there for a while. I just spoke with a friend who got great coverage at Melanie Cove on Telus. The Rogers folks were not quite so fortunate.
Well well well I stand corrected Jack, I have rounded that point more times than I can remember and I have never noticed that tower and my coverage has always been crappy up here. In any case, I'm glad Melanie Cove is an option, on occasion I gravitate to places I can do my connected business while on the hook.

By the way, I don't get a signal in Rosco Bay.

#4 ·
There is also good coverage a in the Big Bay, Gillard Pass area thanks to a tower above the fishing lodge on Sonora Island. After that you have to get up to Kelsey Bay, and next is Alert Bay.

That tower at Sarah Point might have an upgraded signal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.