SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest & Alaska (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/)
-   -   Seattle WA- Victoria CA (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/66918-seattle-wa-victoria-ca.html)

contagous 07-31-2010 06:14 PM

Seattle WA- Victoria CA

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has any information about Crossing the USA/CA border via Sailboat...

Seems like i need to call them or something before I dock up.. But who do I actually call?

Thanks for any info.

Dave

monkeymom 07-31-2010 07:20 PM

you have to go to a designated call in center - I am not sure where the best place for you to go would be, I imagine there is a designated area in Victoria & i know there is one in Sidney.
see cut & paste info below from govt of canada website Coming to Canada by Small Aircraft or Recreational Boat

Recreational boats
The master of a recreational boat is the person in charge. As master of the recreational boat, he or she is required to go to a designated telephone reporting marine site and call the telephone reporting centre at 1-888-226-7277. No one except the master may leave the boat until authorization is given by the CBSA.

Note
To find designated telephone reporting marine sites in your area, call 1-888-226-7277.

The master is required to follow these steps:

•give the full name, date of birth and citizenship for every person on the boat;
•give the destination, purpose of trip and length of stay in Canada for each passenger who is a nonresident of Canada;
•give the length of absence for each passenger who is a returning resident of Canada;
•give the passport and visa information of passengers, if applicable;
•make sure all passengers have photo identification and proof of citizenship documents;
•declare all goods being imported, including firearms and weapons;
•report all currency and monetary instruments of a value equal to or greater than CAN$10,000;
•for returning resident of Canada, declare all repairs or modifications made to goods, including the boat, while outside Canada; and
•give true and complete information.
As proof of presentation, the border services officer will give the master a report number for their records. The master must give this number to a border services officer upon request.

janders 08-01-2010 10:09 AM

There's a customs dock in Victoria next to the dock where the sea planes load passengers. Just pull up there, walk up to the phone with your crew's passports and answer all the questions. We've never had a Canadian customs guy come down to the boat.

edit: the phone will automatically dial customs.

DwayneSpeer 08-01-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janders (Post 627513)
There's a customs dock in Victoria next to the dock where the sea planes load passengers. Just pull up there, walk up to the phone with your crew's passports and answer all the questions. We've never had a Canadian customs guy come down to the boat.

edit: the phone will automatically dial customs.

Done it twice and it was a breeze both times. The second time the questions were a lot less because they already knew all the intimate details and I only had to say nothing had changed.

contagous 08-01-2010 07:28 PM

Awesome guys thanks so much for this info :)

nightowle 08-02-2010 12:29 AM

Sometimes the customs agents are present on the dock and will come down to your boat after you have checked in with them, so be conscious of how much booze you are bringing in. I'm not sure if the limit is per person or per boat. They will also search for fruits and veg that are on a no entry list to Canada.