SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest & Alaska (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/)
-   -   Westcoast floating yacht club (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/71058-westcoast-floating-yacht-club.html)

Bilgewater 01-03-2011 08:30 PM

Westcoast floating yacht club

Anyone want to start a real income generating yacht club? :rolleyes:
Cortez Island Oyster Lease
Right near beautiful Von Donop inlet... :)...a little elbow grease on the clubhouse and some hard work to keep the business going and she's good to go. :D
edit - My job could be keeping watch and maybe helping out a bit. :)

My sister and brother enjoying an oyster feast up in Desolation Sound.
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Salten005.jpg

jrd22 01-03-2011 10:44 PM

Hey Steve, looks like just a couple of weekends of work and you'd be up and going. Can we make a reservation for sometime in July?

jackdale 01-03-2011 11:12 PM

I'll be in the vicinity in April, May, July and September.

I will ensure we have a shucking knife on board.

Bilgewater 01-03-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 682694)
Hey Steve, looks like just a couple of weekends of work and you'd be up and going. Can we make a reservation for sometime in July?

Great, I've got you penciled in for float B, the best float of them all. :D

Bilgewater 01-03-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 682700)
I'll be in the vicinity in April, May, July and September.

I will ensure we have a shucking knife on board.

Ah...a man with a tool, you can go on the oyster float.

jrd22 01-03-2011 11:44 PM

Float B, got it. Will moorage include a jug of homemade wine? Dogs are OK aren't they, Buster is real friendly and rarely barks, but then you know this from rafting with us:-)) Looking forward to seeing you this summer Steve.

Bilgewater 01-04-2011 12:38 PM

Homemade wine is no problem, always have lots of jugs aboard. Buster will be just fine around the oysters but barking makes them run away.

I'm hoping to take a run up to Alaska this summer but I have a very very sick dog which after many expensive tests and blood samples I thought it might be a brain tumor but now she seems much better so I'm thinking the problem is her yearly shots and without her shots paperwork I can't bring her into the States, so I'm trying to figure this one out. But in any case, I'll be cruising a lot this summer and I'll see you and Laurie for sure. :)

jackdale 01-04-2011 02:42 PM

I just read the passage in "Adventures in Solitude" about the hippy who got an oyster lease. Apparently it is not fun.

Have you read Grant Lawrence's book? I got it for Christmas after hearing him interviewed on the "Q".

Bilgewater 01-04-2011 09:47 PM

No, I haven't read that one and as a matter of fact this is the first I've heard of it, I googled it and I will be getting this one for sure. If you like books like that, if you haven't read it already, you would be definitely interested in a book called "Bijaboboji" by Betty Lowman. I got it through the Library and have read it a few times and recommended it many times.
It's a story about her life as a child taking her dugout canoe from Anacortes to Alaska in the 1930s. It's a fantastic read and really gives a great picture of the coast in those years...lots of history. Many canaries along the way at that time and quite the adventure for a young girl. When she reached Nanaimo she made the front page of the paper and from that point everyone up the coast new about her and were expecting her. She describes in great detail many of the now dissapeared villages. Sailing past them now really puts ones mind in high gear. Great read for sure. InsidePassageNews.com

Jack, I have absolutely no real intention of getting into oyster farming, although it has crossed my mind on occasion.:eek: I was just playing around with all this stuff.

jrd22 01-04-2011 10:18 PM

Sorry to hear about your dog Steve. Looking forward to seeing you. Alaska you say, eh. Not sure we can do this year, kids will be here working on the cabin and Granma is going to need a regular grandson fix.