SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest & Alaska (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/)
-   -   Kiss Squirrel Cove Goodbye? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/75506-kiss-squirrel-cove-goodbye.html)

jackdale 06-21-2011 08:16 PM

Kiss Squirrel Cove Goodbye?

I have just received a copy of a proposal that will eliminate any possibility of anchoring in Squirrel Cove.

Responses to the proposal are being accepted until June 30.

If you want a copy PM me.

Faster 06-21-2011 08:31 PM

I'll send you a PM Jack. This has come up at our club meetings.. sounds like a near-complete takeover.

Hard to imagine that Squirrel Cove isn't protected with park status, but it's actually not. I believe a small part of the foreshore may be (part of Von Donop?)

From what I've heard it's not a proposal for the grass roots boaters... sounds more like Catalina Island density.

jrd22 06-21-2011 08:46 PM

What a shame if this comes to pass. We always spend a night or two in Squirrel each summer. How could they restrict anchoring, or would it just be no access to shore?

Faster 06-21-2011 08:56 PM

As we've heard it, it's a large marina/buoyage proposal that would tie up 80% or more of the cove, leaving just the area inside the entrance for anchoring.
When we get the copy from JackD we'll know more.....

erps 06-21-2011 09:15 PM

Shucks. My kids learned to swim in the lagoon. We threw them in and they came back.

Faster 06-21-2011 10:56 PM

Well, Ray as it turns out you can still throw your grandkids into the lagoon but they may return as well since the mouth of the lagoon is one of the few anchorage areas retained.... (thanks, Jack, for the email)

Unfortunately the pdf files in the link below are dead but the link to a comment page is there and works. It does say there that they will be accepting comments through til August.

Applications and Reasons for Decision

Here's a look at the proposal.... it includes single and double point mooring fields and docks throughout the cove as you can see below, with '4' designated anchorage areas along shore here and there. Slips/space for up to 388 boats....

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...irrelcove4.jpg

jrd22 06-22-2011 12:45 AM

388 boats in Squirrel Cove? I won't be one of them. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Jack.

Bilgewater 06-25-2011 02:13 PM

Just heard about this...so sad :confused::(:(
We need to protect BC and Desolation Sound, people come here for a reason and that's not one of them.

jackdale 06-26-2011 09:46 PM

My thoughts

Quote:

In the past few days I have become aware of a plan by the Klahoose First Nation to "develop" Squirrel Cove. The plan is to turn what amounts to the entire cove into a marina and mooring field. This is both environmentally and economically unsustainable.

Only part of Squirrel Cove, northwest of Protection Island, is a no-discharge zone. That means the entire marina complex and 107 single mooring balls are not subject to discharge controls of any sort. The remaining single and double mooring points are not subject to grey water controls with the ability to dump a large quantity of detergent into the cove. As is pointed out in the proposal, Squirrel Cove is an enclosed space and likely subject to limited flushing during tidal shifts. With a capacity of close to 400 vessels, the cove will be quickly rendered inhospitable.

In my experience of over 20 years of visiting Desolation Sound and the surrounding area, the reason that it is attractive is its isolation. Those who visit are not interested in the amenities that can be found in the Gulf and San Juan Islands; they enjoy the solitude. The area is already well served by the facilities that these cruisers require. Both Lund and Refuge Cove can provide fuel. These two locales and the existing store at Squirrel Cove can provide the necessary provisions. As a result, I expect that this proposal will drive away, rather than attract, clients.

This is a classic example of “paving paradise….”
Jack

Bilgewater 06-26-2011 10:09 PM

Exactly Jack