Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyf View Post
This my last post on this thread. I asked a straightforward question and all of a sudden I get some posts from those of you with exquisite sensitivities that question the motives and biases behind the question. Some of the responses were right in line with the very helpful responses from other threads of mine. Others were not.
As with many OP's asking for advice or information, if the info recieved is not what the OP wants to hear he "shoots the messenger". Accepting the info provided in the replies is voluntary, no need to get all fired up, bad for your blood pressure

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Since he has a family, SSYC would not work well. More family oriented would be SYC with the kids lessons in the summer, family cruises, races, out stations, in town clubhouse, with moorage discounted..............

If family is a couple, STYC might work or CYCSeattle, which does have a childrens race program thru Sailsandpoint, along with out at shilshoal and on Lake Washington, west side between I90 and 520. Meydenbauer in Bellevue also has a kids sailing lesson program too. If you are north a bit, Edmonds YC has some family stuff, they do advertise as a social club, no racing, but over 15 cruises a year, plus at least 2 dinner/potluck meetings a month. If one wants to race out of Edmonds, join CYC Edmonds. they have about 30 races per year.

Yachting, a local freebe rag IIRC Jan or Feb has a semi rundown of the YC locally, plus there is a book sold that describes some of the clubs at different marinas also.

That is teh last I will give you.............
Old 12-15-2011

Rustyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Now that this thread is back on track I appreciate the helpful comments. More to the point I hope to buy a sailboat soon but it will only work for the family if my grown daughters-who are not now sailors-can take advantage of the social aspects of sailing in the PNW.

Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If your daughters are of the over 18 adult vs 13-18 adult teens, they would have to join in some of the activities with you as a guest(s) as my 4 adult kids 19-25 yrs do. They would not be able to generally speaking join in on the social on there own in most clubs. They would have to join on there own, along with being listed as an owner of the boat. Three do join me racing, the youngest has some sea sickness issues so does not join the boating part often. But does enjoy coming to the xmas party last friday night when voting on and looking at the boats that are lit etc. The two girls sometimes show up on the weekend cruises for a day if the drive is close, watch our dog while we play golf. Altho another member has volunteered to watch him to get her dog itch out of the way!

There are some smaller lower cost, non asset clubs that allow social members to be a part of the club. SloopTYC, CYCEdmonds among some that allow this. The larger ones, like Seattle YC, Edmonds YC they would not be able to use the clubs facilities or social events on there own with out you being present.

Your best bet to figure out "WHICH" local YC that would be best is to ask folks that belong local that you know, look at websites to see activities they have, if ages are listed too per say. Otherwise, frankly, from a forum like this, you will not always get a good feeling unless there are LOTS from the local area. This is not one where you will find a lot of local YC folks. For that, you would need to ho over to sailing anarchy or pressure drop to find more puget sound folks from seattle/tacoma/to everett. You may also want to look up "the grand 14" which is 14 of the bigger older asset clubs. Also the most blue blazer style clubs, they ea have balls ea year honoring the current commodore, womens luncheons between them etc. BUT< these will also usually be the more expensive ones to join too.

There are not right or wrong clubs amongst the ones I know of. A lot will depend upon where you truly live int he area, where you keep or want to keep the boat.......

A friend of mine had his boat at shilshoal, was/is a member of ssyc, met some one, joined Edmonds as she was a PC. Then they joined Meydenbauer, even tho yearly dues are $2400, they save 150% of that in reduced moorage at the club, ie about 150 vs 450-500 for his 40' boat. His boat is now 5 min from his house, vs 30-45 from Bellevue to Shilshoal. So they belong to more than one, for different reasons. Same as I do belonging to the two here in Edmonds. I have also considered STYC for some of the events they do.

If you own a business, and could potentially use the club members as clients, find out which ones have newletters with adds in them or rosters. Example, Maydenbauer does not allow advertising what you do per say, meanwhile, for $160, you can get an add in the Edmonds YC newsletter and annual roster! Not to say I have gotten a lot of biz from these folks, but enough to pay for the dues and advertising etc. Meanwhile, CYCE does almost nothing from this stance too, consider themselves a social along with racing, but reality, with 1-2 cruises, 2 dinner meetings, and a potluck, not much as compared to MBYC or EYC from a cruise social standpoint!

I doubt you will find a "perfect" club per say.

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 12-15-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2011

Rustyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks a lot Ski. I hope to have bought a boat by the end of January and I will keep the site posted as things move along.
Old 12-16-2011

steve stark is on a distinguished road
Rusty....
As an another alternative to consider.... We recently joined a group in the South Sound. They are loosely based in Olympia, but have membership that expands northward as well. What Barb and I were looking for was a crowd that generally prefers getting out, anchoring, rafting, sometimes staying at a marina, in short... enjoying the natural side of our area (and always sailing) together. While we are newbies with the group, they have gone way out of their way to make us feel welcome, even though we live in Portland and commute to the boat in Gig Harbor.

Anyway, look them up as the 'South Sound Sailing Society' on the web. A whole bunch of really nice, down to earth people, families, singles, et al. BTW, they have several members who are not current boat owners and make cruises through crewing on OPB (other people's boats).
Exploring the Salish Sea
Old 12-19-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Go drink a few beers at the Sloop tavern in Ballard. Plenty of social networking with many, many interesting characters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 05-26-2012

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road
Re: Social Aspects of PNW Sailing

There is also Puget Sound Cruising Club - meets third Fridays at North Seattle CC - (except during the summer as most of them are off sailing) - they have a speaker each meeting and a destination cruise the fourth weekend of the month.

There is also a Meetup Sailing group in Seattle.