Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Faster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011

RossC32 is on a distinguished road
Vancouver to Hornby?

I am looking for "alternative" routes to get me from False Creek to Hornby Island. I like to anchor in Ford Cove.
I usually head up the Sechelt side, stopping in Plumper Cove or heading all the way to Pirate Cove or Secrect Cove. Then I head to Lasquiti, usually stay in Scottie Bay and then head to Hornby. I single hand and my boat (Centurion 32) has an enconomical cruising speed of about 4.5 kts. I think I am under-propped or something because even when I crank it wide open, I can just barely get over 5.2 kt. Anyway, these factors limit my daily range (lack of speed and fatique at the tiller). Since the wind direction, if there is any is usually either NW or SE (and it never seems to blow in the direction I want to go), I usually end up motoring a lot. It occurred to me this summer, though, that I might be better off heading to Silva Bay the first day, heading to Lasquiti, perhaps, the second day and then to Hornby. That way, if the wind is blowing, I will more likely be able to sail and get somewhere.
Does anyone have comments on this route or suggestions for other routes that might be fun to travel?
Cheers
Ross
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Plumper/Secret/Smuggler, Jedidiah and Tribune is a common route for us.. Jedidiah Island is a much more pleasant stopover than Scottie Bay unless there's some weather at play. It's usually a nice fetch from the top of Lasqueti across to Tribune Bay. Another nice alternative to Secret/etc is Anderson Bay on the south tip of Texada, as long as there's no SE in the forecast. Very charming spot.

Up the other side Silva, Schooner Cove, to Tribune could work but the last leg's a bit longish..maybe French Creek to break that up. The problem with this route is the possible hassle of dealing with an active Whiskey Golf situation, though it's possible to do this all the way up the beach (but there be rocks thar!!)

Silva Bay is fast losing its appeal as an anchorage - crowded - way too many transient boats, the holding's never been great there and it's always one of the windiest spots on the Strait.
jackdale and larrytwo like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-31-2011

RossC32 is on a distinguished road
I totally agree about Sylva Bay, windy and poor holding. Had real trouble there the first time I anchored. I thought it would be more sheltered but the wind really came whistling through.
I haven't been to French Creek or Schooner Cove. Any comments on these?
Old 12-31-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Actually we haven't used French Creek yet either, it's a popular trailer launch location and as an ex-government dock I believe it can get busy, with recreation and fishboats fighting for space... will check it out one day.

Schooner Cove is quite pleasant. While it can be bumpy/rolly on a big SE wind as a summertime transient overnight they are very welcoming. The hotel is shut down now and due to be demolished but this past summer there's a trailer on the site with offices, washrooms, showers, laundry and they are eager to offer reciprocal moorage. There's no store there anymore either, but a shuttle runs to a nearby centre. Fuel is still available there as well. The adjacent subdivision makes for a vigorous walk, plenty of hills to stretch your legs on.

Plenty of lumps and rocks in behind the Winchelseas so you really need to keep an eye out as you go between there and Ballenas Is. as you go the inside route around WG.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)