Well, what I expected to be a quick fix "bolt on a new mixing elbow and away I go" didn't quite happen that way. The issues compounded as I got further into it. After finally getting my hot little hands on the new mixing elbow, I quickly emailed JRD22 (John) and told him I would have it installed by lunch and we would be on the road the following day and meet up somewhere in Desolation Sound.
The moment I began the removal process, I knew it was bad. I immediately snapped off 3 of the 4 bolts inside the manifold. At first I thought I would just use an easy-out but after looking at the inside of the mixing elbow I decided to remove everything and re-build the whole works.
This is my rebuilt assembly...after a caustic solution, boiling, welding nuts onto the broken bolts to extract them, a bit of machining, painting, new thermostats, new bolts, new gaskets, some new pipe fittings. While I was at it I cleaned and painted the engine.
It's now installed and I'm up and running 4 days later so I was a little off on my time estimate...sorry I couldn't meet you John and all the gang, I was looking forward to it.
This is my rebuilt manifold assembly...