Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2012 Desolation Sound Trip. Pictures.

Thanks Bilge, but thats no good, they don't have any Pilot Houses ...

Kidding of course.

Cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Andrew,

Reality is, I can think of probably a dozen or so charter companies tween seattle and desolation sound. Most that I can think of are south of the border per say. But would imagine that Victoria, Vancouver and north would have a number of places, one or two may even have a PH, or at minimum, something with an enclosed dodger/bimini option.

Marty
Old 08-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Andrew,

Reality is, I can think of probably a dozen or so charter companies tween seattle and desolation sound. Most that I can think of are south of the border per say. But would imagine that Victoria, Vancouver and north would have a number of places, one or two may even have a PH, or at minimum, something with an enclosed dodger/bimini option.

Marty
Marty,

The mob that Bilge linked to look to have enclosed cockpits on most of there boats. I hear that it rarely rains up your way so I reckon we'll be OK.

It something I keep thinking about. I know that if I did lob into Seattle there are plenty of you I can come and annoy but if we did visit I'd surely want to take off for a couple of weeks cruising and that would be up into Canada. Damn it all, I'd love to go all the way up to Juneau but that would be somewhat ruinous financially I'd reckon.

Cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-20-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Andrew- I think there is a Moorings charter outfit in Bellingham, WA and I know there is something in Anacortes, WA. I would recommend that you charter something down south (north WA, or Vancouver, BC) so you can make the trip north through the BC Gulf Islands and then cross the Strait of Georgia to the Sunshine Coast, then up to Desolation area. You would want to take the time to go see Princess Louisa inlet at any rate (IMHO) and you could easily do that either on the north or southbound trip. Might as well get the whole enchilada if you're going to travel half way round the planet. Pilothouses are not required during the summer months (July & August) :-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-20-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I would recommend that you charter something down south (north WA, or Vancouver, BC) so you can make the trip north through the BC Gulf Islands and then cross the Strait of Georgia to the Sunshine Coast, then up to Desolation area. You would want to take the time to go see Princess Louisa inlet at any rate (IMHO) and you could easily do that either on the north or southbound trip. Might as well get the whole enchilada if you're going to travel half way round the planet. Pilothouses are not required during the summer months (July & August) :-))
There are some charter companies in Sidney - 10 minutes from Victoria International Airport. Sidney is at the south end of the Gulf Islands. Some charter boat have full enclosures; not my favourite.

I would also recommend getting up to the Broughtons, north of Desolation.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-20-2012

Andrew,

EACH of the last two if not three years, the owner of the local Jeanneau dealer has done a 2-4 week cruise leaving the 3rd weekend in June athe jeanneau roundezvous up to alaska and back. Something to toy with. Not sure of how many DS Jeaneaus are in the local fleets, there are mixes of others.

As mentioned, there is in Wa state, Bellingham, Anacortes, Seattle that have charter companies that I know of. If you go online to 48north.com the last 2 yrs or so of the monthly rags have been put online. IIRC March or April, maybe february has a listing of ALL or most of the local charter places, then the month later or before is a listing of places that have sailing lessons. Also in the back of that rag is a bunch of charter options also. Both in BC and wa st. Yachting IIRC is another local freeby rag with some info on chartering too. I'll try to look up that website at some if you need it.

Marty
Old 08-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Guys, thanks for the tips. If we do it , either spring or autumn next year I guess then I'd definitely want to allow three - four weeks. As JRD says, if you are travelling half way around the world etc etc ...

DS would be nice for the view but reality is they are a bit big for a two person charter. Mid 30's would be perfect.

btw ... if we did charter out of Washington, how problematic is it to take a charter out of the US into Canada ?

Marty .. thanks for the 48North tip ....

Old 08-20-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
btw ... if we did charter out of Washington, how problematic is it to take a charter out of the US into Canada ?
Canadians cannot do it, but you should have no problems.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Canadians cannot do it, but you should have no problems.
Why ? Because I am so sweet and loveable ? Yeah, that must be it.

Old 08-20-2012

If you want a mid 30 footer, A fellow I know from the Jeanneau owners forum chartered his Sun Fast 35 out of Desolation sound charters IIRC. That puppy has a 7 someodd foot draft! so an issue for them east coasters, out here.....not so much!

marty