Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Debris Report - Maui to PNW
On the way back the boats on the SSB net reported on the debris encountered.
- Lots of styrofoam ranging from a couple of inches to to 3X3X3 feet. One piece with concrete still attached.
- Lots of floats from nets.
- We had a piece of net go under the boat - scared the crap out of me. We were under sail.
- Two overturned hulls: 1 50 feet, 1 20-30 feet; probably tsunami debris with lots of growth. (Observed by other boats, not us.)
- One 1X1X15 feet piece of dock.
- Lots of plastic bits, small drums, bottles, etc..
- Some logs with trimmed ends - way out 600-800 miles from PNW.
We didn't hit anything. But that is the worst I have seen.
Remember we can only see a hundred yards at most.
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Last edited by jackdale; 08-19-2012 at 11:45 PM.