SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest & Alaska (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/)
-   -   What and where in Vancouver and Vancouver Island? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/95863-what-where-vancouver-vancouver-island.html)

rockDAWG 01-18-2013 01:55 PM

What and where in Vancouver and Vancouver Island?

Wifey and I will be in Vancouver for a week, meeting my long lost cousin is the only agenda at the moment. Looking for cool places to go where the locals hang out; I am into street photography, art and fashion. Not so much into the popular tourist spots.

We will have a rental car but need to get local 4G service (I can't live off the grid :D). I try to avoid the roaming 4G charges in Canada. Last time in Quebec City it was over $1000 from AT&T, although we settled the bill later. :)

Any suggestions are welcome.

jackdale 01-18-2013 02:03 PM

What dates?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

rockDAWG 01-18-2013 02:45 PM

Re: What and where in Vancouver and Vancouver Island?

Next week, will arrive Wednesday nite, depart the following Tuesday. :)

jackdale 01-18-2013 02:47 PM

You will miss the Vancouver Boat Show.

Where will you be on the Island?
Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Faster 01-18-2013 03:32 PM

Gastown area has 'charming streets' but is a bit of a tourist trap (though not so much this time of year) Same with Granville Island with the bonus of marinas, brokerages, floathomes and Public Market... The Aqua bus and Granville Island Ferries will take you around False Creek, or to the Maritime Museum which houses the St Roch.

Upscale (up price) shopping on Robson Street, Denman st has a cool vibe and is adjacent to Stanley Park - too bad the Sea wall is closed for repairs. Bike rentals are popular here too. A pretty good Aquarium in Stanley Park as well.

Slightly out of the city is Steveston, a rejuvenated fishing/canning center in Richmond, Further south WhiteRock's shore side walk and shops is great on a nice day.

West Vancouver's Lighthouse Park is a nice natural hiking spot at the entrance to English Bay, and the ferry ride to Bowen Island nearby is a nice little day trip.

All of these are day trips from the city centre... where does your cousin live??

rockDAWG 01-18-2013 03:42 PM

Haha...there is a lot of GOOD places to look into which I wasnot surprise. After all , it is the Great White North....LOL. Thanks for the heads up, and will do the homework before departure.

She lives in Victoria. We are flexible and mobile. But thinking to stay at Mainland first and then to Island, may to take a loop and ride the ferry back to the north side of Vancouver.

:)

dabnis 01-18-2013 08:13 PM

We have traveled to both Victoria and Vancouver for 25 years. FWIW, our favorite is Victoria. The BC Museum is great, not so much like an old museum, lots of maritime and fishing exhibits plus the Empress Hotel. Lots to see in a fairly small geographic area

Paul T

Faster 01-18-2013 08:53 PM

Doing the "loop", ie taking the Tsawassen ferry to Victoria, driving to Nanaimo and coming back on the Horseshoe Bay ferry is a nice little trip.. as an option rather than the overland/inland route from Victoria to Duncan you can take a small ferry across Saanich inlet from Brentwood Bay to Mill Bay.. it's more of a coastal drive that way, but slower, of course. While in Victoria Butchart Gardens is a popular stop but this wouldn't be prime season for that.

The Victoria downtown is great.. Empress Hotel, Legislative buildings, BC museum and the public wharves and floats are all within sight of each other... lots of activity and attractions in that general area, including a pretty vibrant chinatown.

If you end up in Nanaimo with time to spare a passenger ferry across the harbour gets you to Newcastle Island Marine Park.. one of our true gems, esp for essentially being in a city harbour. Another waterfront attraction, also accessible by ferry (a different one leaving from city docks) is the Dinghy Dock Pub.. a floating pub/restaurant that's not too bad and the setting is great.

The drive from Horseshoe Bay to Squamish and Whistler is one of the prettiest drives in the world on a nice day, esp now with the snowcapped peaks of the coastal range.

You'll just need more than a week!!

jackdale 01-18-2013 09:50 PM

If you want to see the cruising centre of the PNW, Sidney (north of Victoria) is a must see. The mainland ferry terminal is there.

Lots of boats in Port Sidney, Van Isle Marina, Canoe Cove, Westport. Have lunch at Beacon Landing and get a great view of Mount Baker.

Sidney also has great bookstores, 7 in total; Tanner's is my favourite.

In Victoria - visit the Maritime Museum and see John Guzzwell's Trekka.

Munroe's Bookstore and Murchie's Tea are also on my list.

Go to John's Place for breakfast. They love sailors there. Second choice - The Blue Fox Cafe.

For an interesting diversion, the basement of Iron Capital; you have to see it to believe it.

Dog Ship 01-19-2013 11:39 AM

All great suggestions and I could use some crew too. Haha