Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
Johnstone Strait - going North in spring?

Hi

planning a staged counterclockwise around vancouver Is trip this summer. Campbell river to Port hardy looks like a bear into prevailing westerlies in the summer (even the more protected long way around via Dent, green point rapids etc).

have explored desolation sound and discovery Is a lot so can give them a miss this time.

considering doing campbell river direct via Johnstone straight to port hardy this month or next when there are still some southerly winds left (obviously going with the ebb, slack at seymour narrows etc). seems far more straightforward, apart from being statistically more rainy.

any comments/suggestions/experience?

reserved 4 weeks in june and july for around the outside and back to victoria.

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Re: Johnstone Strait - going North in spring?

It's pretty straight forward up to the top and June is OK but maybe lots of motoring up Johnstone Strait. Watch for steep confused seas at Cape Mudge if a strong SE and a flood but by June it should be no issue. Preferably leave Campbell River or Cape Mudge at the end of a flood about an hour before the change at Seymour Narrows and you should get a nice ebb pushing you up toward Kelsey Bay. Johnstone Strait just before Kelsey Bay can get bad at times. If it looks bad coming around to Johnstone Strait at Chatham Point, you can duck up through Nodales or Blind Channel and take the back way to get above Kelsey Bay. Although it's a longer route you can sometimes save some time if there is a strong Westerly in the Strait. The rapids up around Green Point are pretty mild. No matter what you do, you will likely be doing a lot of motoring until you get north. Pay attention to Nahwitti Bar and a Westerly and generally cross at slack.

Hope this helps a bit.
Should be a good trip...have fun.

Steve
jrd22 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 03-17-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

The wind builds in Johnstone throughout the day. Getting into to early helps a lot.

I prefer the "back way" near Campbell River; either the Yucaltas or Surge Narrows / Upper Rapids.

From the Yuclatas I go to Blind Channel. From Blind Channel through Greene Point Rapids, Wellbore Channel SUnderland Channel before reaching Johnstone. I monitor the conditions at Fanny Island and then spend as llittle times a possible in Johnstone by going into Havannah Channel to either Lagoon Cove or Potts Lagoon. Then into Johnstone via Baronet Passage.

You might also consider going into the Broughtons and then taking Queen Charlotte Strait to Hardy.

Some more here

North to the Broughtons
jrd22, Bilgewater and Capt Len like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-19-2013

Loriprov is on a distinguished road

We have gone through the Yucultas and the Upper Rapids and were planning a Seymour Narrows transit this spring - unless we have to move to Plan B, of course! It will be a bit early so we will expect to wait in Campbell River for a good weather window and leave early, as we are accustomed to.

This year the goal is to go North of Cape Caution to Klemtu, and return via the Broughtons. Of course, every day will determine what happens next, no matter the plan. Any one with experience inside Draney Inlet, or all the way to Bella Coola, we would be grateful for thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriprov View Post
We have gone through the Yucultas and the Upper Rapids and were planning a Seymour Narrows transit this spring - unless we have to move to Plan B, of course! It will be a bit early so we will expect to wait in Campbell River for a good weather window and leave early, as we are accustomed to.

This year the goal is to go North of Cape Caution to Klemtu, and return via the Broughtons. Of course, every day will determine what happens next, no matter the plan. Any one with experience inside Draney Inlet, or all the way to Bella Coola, we would be grateful for thoughts.

Thanks!
If you are referring to the Draney Inlet that empties into Rivers Inlet, yes.
When the tide is ebbing it is like someone flushed a GIANT toilet. The flow can extend way out into Rivers Inlet. I have not been up into the inside of Draneys but right at its mouth it can be quite severe on a big ebb.

Paul T
Old 03-19-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

My only experience on Johnstone St was in a 53' heavy alaskan fishing boat. No wind at Seymour, calm as we turned the corner towards Kelsey, we soon saw a wind line approaching. In about one minute we had 40 knots slamming into us and the strong ebb we were riding and in no time we were bashing into 10'+ vertical walls of water (at that point the engine went to idle and the transmission went into neutral and we turned broadside to the waves... but that's another story). Anyway, it can get dicey in JS in a hurry.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-19-2013

Loriprov is on a distinguished road

Thank you John. We have been there twice and had flat calm once and misread the current in race passage on the return. Not the washing machine you describe, but not that nice either. Our plan B is to once again meander through either the Yucultas or the Upper and Lower Rapids, depending on where fair weather is. I know we are planning on travel a bit earlier than most, but if it is bad enough, a few good books and a well set anchor are not amiss either!

LoriProv
Old 03-20-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

I am a big fan of Wellbore Channel. Whirlpool Rapids is not as bad as it sounds.

Preferred route = Yucaltas > Blind Channel > Greene Point on a turn > Wellbore > Sunderland. Monitor Fanny Island weather. By pass Current and Race.
larrytwo likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-20-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Yulctas has my vote for easy transit. Johnston S requires early starts fore the westerlies kick in or better, find a sou'easter and push on.I like to dive in the Polkinghorns and cut across to Van I to Roller Bay.(Nawitty) again for the diving.
Old 03-20-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Okisollo is much easier. less traffic and more places to stop,