Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: My last little bit of planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Lazarettes, thank you.

THe, lazarettes, are good in that they are sealed from the cabin.

More than 10 gallons huh? How much would you recommend? I could probably fit 12 -15 in one lazarette comfortably. Right now I have 6, and 3 life jackets, and alot of room.
I'm not a fan of putting gasoline inside anything, sealed or otherwise. The vapor are highly explosive in a range of air mixtures. No thanks.

Lash spares to the deck, bottom of the mast or side decks, if you must. Just keep in mind where the gas will go, if the tank leaks.
jrd22 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks.

Why wouldn't a second anchor be better than tying to shore?
Isn't it kind of the same purpose? A second stern anchor, maybe on very short scope, would do the same thing, but you wouldn't have to carry(and purchase!) 350 feet more rope. You could also anchor further from shore, and if the wind or current was running a different direction than into shore, you could face anyway you wanted? So why stern tie? I"m sure you are right, I just don't know why.
Old 04-22-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

A stern anchor will slide down the rocky shore, pulling the boat forward toward the bow anchor, which may also be pulling down and forward. Where tying up to the shore, restrains you toward the shore.

Remember you are tying up on a steep hillside, which just happens to have a lot of water next to it, in most cases. The trick is not to "fall" down the hill.
Old 04-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Ok, thanks.

Why wouldn't a second anchor be better than tying to shore?
Isn't it kind of the same purpose? A second stern anchor, maybe on very short scope, would do the same thing, but you wouldn't have to carry(and purchase!) 350 feet more rope. You could also anchor further from shore, and if the wind or current was running a different direction than into shore, you could face anyway you wanted? So why stern tie? I"m sure you are right, I just don't know why.
The problem with anchoring in the middle of a bay with a stern anchor (or second anchor) is that you now make it very difficult for anyone else to anchor there that isn't going to completely replicate your situation. If boat anchors nearby, swinging free and expecting you to do the same, you could both be in for a rude awakening at 3 am. Also stern lines are immediately obvious, second anchors not so much.

Many of these bays are VERY popular and the use of sternlines maximizes everybody's utilization. Some bays are simply too small for typical two anchor situations. It's considered rather rude to set yourself up in a cove in such a way as to prevent anyone else from joining you. Most of our marine parks provide rings and/or chains to use as shore line termination points so you can avoid damaging trees - and the parks people will definitely chase you off any Arbutus (aka Madronna) trees used for tieups.

A stern line is much easier to deploy and retrieve than a second anchor, although you do need some sort of shore transport to set it up (dinghy, kayak, or a swimmer)

The stern tie requires a JUST as , if not more, securely set anchor in the event of cross current or cross wind and in fact can be a bit stressful if it decides to blow hard overnight across the boat... however the practice is very common and fortunately most summer nights the wind dies down unless a big system is coming in. In 30+ years we've only been blown out of an anchorage in summer a couple of times... but we tend to choose well....
jrd22 and jackdale like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-23-2013

Loriprov is on a distinguished road

I heartily agree with Bilgewater about the crab pot and jigging pole. Shrimp are work. But while earlier posts said your 10 gallons of gas was insufficient, we sailed a 24' Newport Neptune for 10 years, and carried only the 6 gallon tank with a 1 gallon emergency tank. You are planning to venture further in your 23 than we did in our 24, but since we have cruised a 34' to the areas you intend to see, and the longest distance is Pender Harbor to Lund for fuel, about 47 miles. With 100 mile capacity and 10 gallons of fuel, you should be fine.

Also, there is fuel on Orcas and Lopez, and two locations on San Juan Island. Then there are Ganges, Montague Harbor, Telegraph Harbor, Nanaimo, Sydney, and Pender Harbor and Lund, as I mentioned earlier. None of these locations challenge a 100 mile capacity for distance.
Old 04-24-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

As you know I'm doing a similar trip this summer.

On my Catalina 25 I had a 6 gallon and 3 gallon tank for motoring. The 6 gallon fit into the fuel locker, the 3 gallon fit sideways across the back of the cockpit (an otherwise useless area). Both had the same fitting, so if fuel ran out and surprised me I could just disconnect the line from one tank, connect it to the other, and restart the motor.

I carried a backup fuel line with the motor-end disconnected (but ready below) and could use that to transfer fuel from a fuel tank into my dinghy motor. That isn't important for you, but carrying a backup fuel line might be. It's one of the more likely failure points on an outboard. You can get a cheap outboard fuel tank from this store in Portland:
Sexton's Chandlery | Home

They have Yamaha-branded 3 gallon tanks piled up for $30/ea, brand new in the box. I should have bought one last time I was in Portland.

I didn't like carrying jerry cans. The modern ones are really annoying and leak fuel when you are pouring from them.

If your budget allows for it I'd add a solar setup to the boat. A 20-30w panel plus decent charge controller is about $150. On a boat with few systems like yours that will keep the battery topped up and ready to go for all purposes. This is the same system that we used on my Catalina 25, and the batteries on that boat have never been charged by anything but the motor or solar.

You might want to get the Navionics or other charts for your iPhone that work even when the iPhone doesn't have a data connection. This is the cheapest way to get a GPS for your boat.

I think you'll probably want more books.

I carry a lot of my old running rigging (anything in good, but not great, shape) because line is useful to have. There is a hard to use for anything better locker on my boat that is full of the stuff.

You might want to think about more safety gear. I think I'm going to get a harness and jacklines for when I'm single handing in rough weather.

I hope to run into you sometime on our travels. My boat is a Pearson 28 called "Elena".
Old 04-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Alex.. how far are you intending to go this year and when? We'll be out July/August, with plans to spend the bulk of July in the Broughtons. We always catch the Comox Festivals on the August Long weekend - highly recommended - and will tour the usuals for the remainder of August.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-24-2013

I'll be leaving Seattle in the first couple of days of July and returning at the end of July. We don't have an itinerary planned, but expect to go to Desolation Sound and back. My guess is that we'll head up quickly (maybe getting there in 7-10 days), then take a slower course back home.

In August I'll mostly be cycling and maybe doing overnights near Seattle.

In September I'll do another 2+ weeks in the San Juans and Gulf Islands.

You can PM me to share contact info and I'll try to figure out the best way to let people know where I am (maybe I'll setup a twitter). It would be fun to run into some other cruisers on this trip. I did briefly meet northoceanbeach in person a couple of weeks ago (he bought his 22lb Bruce anchor from me), but I was helping a friend climb the mast and couldn't chat for very long. I'll likely get a SIM for Canadian cell service while I'm up there, but I need to check into coverage areas to see if it is worth it.
Old 04-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I hope to see some of you up there too. Yesterday I got a great deal on a Garmin, so now I have a handheld, although from playing with it, iPhone with navionix is probably better. This thing...what can I say....um, it's definitely not an iPhone, it....MAKES YOU PAY FOR MAPS!!

Are you kidding me? The basic map it comes with is like a pencil drawing of the US so I got topo 100k US which isn't that great either. I think I got scammed.

Anyways. I just had a thought.

what do I have to do to bring my dog into Canada? I can't find anything official. It looks like I have to do nothing. Some sites say I have to show proof of rabies, and if I don't I have to promise to get one. anyone have any information on bringing a dog? I totally forgot about this, I would hate to get ther and be turned away!

Thanks for the infor on the Portland Chandlery, I did not know that was there. I will stop on the way. I'm going to go with my 6 gallon and either a 3 from the store, or twwo two gallons I have in the garage.
Old 04-24-2013

GPsfiledepot.com has free maps for the Garmin.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.