Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: My last little bit of planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Are most of the inlets subject to the convection winds or is it only some, I though onc I got into a place live Jervis Inlet, where Princess Louisa is, the wind would be totally blocked.
All inlets are subject to onshore on offshore breezes. They can amplify the effects of the prevailing or system winds, or they tend to cancel them out. Knight Inlet and Johnstone Strait align with the prevailing NW winds, so onshore breezes will strengthen the prevailing winds throughout the day.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are most of the inlets subject to the convection winds or is it only some, I though onc I got into a place live Jervis Inlet, where Princess Louisa is, the wind would be totally blocked.
I'm in Jervis Inlet at least a couple of times a week and year round. I have seen it dead calm, winter included. Jack has accurately described the winds for the inlets and they can often make for a bumpy ride up and down Jervis. I generally find Princess Louisa pretty tame but get ready for a possible complete change once you get through the rapids into Jervis. WX will often give you the conditions in the inlets. Jervis/Princess Louisa...a must do! spectacular!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 04-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We lived and sailed in Squamish for over 20 years, it's another long inlet (20-24 NM) with daily inflow winds in summer and frequent overnight and winter outflow winds. These can often get well into the 20 knot +range on a normal summer sunny day, and often with a noted increase at the head of the inlet. The outflow overnight winds can catch you unawares esp when you've anchored in a perfectly sheltered cove at 4 PM, watched the wind die to a dead calm at dusk.. only to be rudely woken up at 1 am when it's blowing 20 knots from the opposite direction... makes life interesting! Like the Gorge Squamish is a kiteboarding/windsurfing mecca.

Winter outflow gales are plain nasty.. zero to subzero temperatures, winds to 50 knots or better...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-25-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We have fished many areas north of Campbell River up to Langara Island. Mostly Rivers Inlet and Hakai Pass, our favorite. In general, it seems like the wind funnels down and travels in the same direction as the inlet or pass.
Most often strengthens in the afternoon and pretty close to the forecasts, which we always followed closely.

Paul T
Old 04-25-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Most often strengthens in the afternoon and pretty close to the forecasts, which we always followed closely.

Paul T
Follow the Environment Canada forecasts and know what stations to monitor for your forecasts and conditions.

Pacific - South Coast - Marine Weather - Environment Canada

Johnstone Strait - South Coast - Weather Conditions - Environment Canada

BTW - EC does not issue small craft warnings, they issue strong wind warnings at the same wind speeds (20 knots)
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-25-2013
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
a perfectly sheltered cove at 4 PM, watched the wind die to a dead calm at dusk.. only to be rudely woken up at 1 am when it's blowing 20 knots from the opposite direction... makes life interesting!
Hmmm...JRD22 can verify this story. 1 or 2 in the morning we had to vamoose out of a bad bay and into Bute inlet for the long fight back. Have you ever tried to find a spot for a dog to do his business at night in an inlet blowing 20 or 25? There are no good spots! There only seems to be bad spots at the bottom of cliffs. I watched John and Laurie pull it off from the comfort of my boat. What a long long night that was.
jrd22 and bljones like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 04-26-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

If the wind is 20-25 knots, why would you need to leave? Can't a boat stay easily at anchor at that speed?
Old 04-26-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Weighing and running can be prudent or the only choice left. 25 knots can easily stretch you back till the transom is intimate with the cliff astern or blow you away from the delta unless the stern anchor on the shelf holds and you stay up to watch. ( that's why we tie to trees) And the willi waas at the head of eg pendrill sound can be educational too.
Old 04-27-2013
Hmmm

Quote:
If the wind is 20-25 knots, why would you need to leave? Can't a boat stay easily at anchor at that speed?
Easily?...no! but sometimes yes!

To add to Len's comment. What few and far between spots you will find are often questionable at best. However, there are some inlets that are OK. Very steep drop off's are the norm and one of the biggest issues. Quite often I will have a foot or two under rudder at low tide in order to get any scope out. Have a look at your charts if you haven't already. I will almost always if possible run out a stern tie or anchor to something on shore. The winds can shift dramatically and/or come up quickly driving right through the bay which can even blow you right out of there. I know of more than one friend that woke up in a different bay many miles away come morning. 20-25 knots with very little scope coupled with a low tide and rocks or beach directly behind you is a bit of an uncomfortable feeling and sometimes it's best to get out. Having said all that I have been quite successful staying off the rocks. The inlets are great to explore...just have a backup plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 04-27-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Understood. I was just reading a cruising guide and I was reading the section on anchoring and the author thinks that a boat can stay at anchor up to 60 knot winds as long as there is no wave action, as I would not expect there to be in a small inlet.

I've just got to see these inlets. I guess if they are the beautiful ones in the pictures where the mountains just jack up all around, then the sea floor is equally steep.

That's the main thing I always tell anyone when I am describing Vancouver. I say it's a blend of Seattle and San Francisco surrounded by these crazy dark mountains that just explode into the sky.

I've got a heavy anchor, 1-2 sizes higher than the book recommends. It has tables by the different anchor manufacturers recommending size by boat length and beam.

I've got the right chain, and nylon line. Book said line(rode) should not be to big or it won't stretch properly under load, so I didn't oversize my chain or line. Shackle is a beefy Wichard captive pin U shackle. KONG swivel, bow roller, cleat with good backing plate. I'll just have to properly set that thing.

What kind of line would I get for a stern line? Do I have to break the bank? 350 feet can get pretty pricy for something I may not need. How about we compromise and I get 100 feet or the cheap kind, but I'll put a chafe protector(cut hose) where it contacts the tree?