Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: My last little bit of planning

Since all chain is really the best set up, I don't see the need to worry about stretch. Nevertheless, these need to be sized to the weight of your boat, not the necessarily size of your anchor, so you should be fine.

Naturally, the bottom conditions are going to have as much to do with holding strength as one's anchor. If set well, with proper scope in good conditions, there is no reason an anchor shouldn't hold to 25 kts and higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Shore tie line should be a floating line.. Some use cheap polypropylene but I find its too prone to twisting and knotting itself up. We use a yellow floating braided line, not sure the name, but think its a Samson brand.

Another reason for stern tying is that the depth vs size of the cove doesn't allow you space to swing free if you use textbook scope. Btw you can pretty much forget 7:1 in most of these places.

Books are good, it's great you're preparing, but like so many of today's young parents, sometimes they read too many....
jrd22 and jackdale like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-27-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Your handheld VHF isn't going to give you reliable coverage in a lot of places so you won't have current weather reports. Any way to install a fixed radio with antenna on top of the mast? Wouldn't cost much, bit of a job.
Strongly recommend the 350' stern tie line, you won't regret having it. We use cheap, sinking, crab line. Not the best but it's tough and I buy 1800' spools for prawning anyway. I think Lummi Fishing Supply (LFS, Bellingham) sells it by the foot.
Navionics for Iphone, +.
Ports and Passes, +.
Dreamspeaker cruising guides,+.
Stopping by Blakely Island Marina for a latte and ice cream cone (or draft beer) and going over the charts, anchorages, etc with me, ++.
Faster likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Stopping by Blakely Island Marina for a latte and ice cream cone (or draft beer) and going over the charts, anchorages, etc with me, ++.
Now THERE'S an offer you'd be a fool to turn down! Good on ya John..

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 04-28-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Fisheries Supply recommended the Samson MFP float line for stern ties in BC. I ended up buying a 600' spool because that was the same as 400' purchased by the foot. I cut off some to use as a dinghy painter and will use the rest for stern ties. With my sailing club account (or it might have been the boat show deal) it ended up being around $130.
Old 04-28-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Sounds like a good deal. I did not know these BC anchorages were that small. I probably would overlook something like that.
Old 04-30-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I am getting ready to leave as we speak, though I'll still have internet alot of the time.

Two quick questions running through my head.

1. I read Washington marine parks have public mooring balls. I also looked at the way people properly tie to the balls. But this was a person in Florida. THey had two lines wrapped around the eye and tied up pretty close to the buoy. Is this how you do it up in Washington? Don't need too much line to absorb shock?

2. Do marinas usually have a place to go and tie up so you can go to shore and eat or take a shower for free?
Old 04-30-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

For all mooring buoys, build a nylon bridle that runs from bow cleat to bow cleat with a full round turn around the ring. A a plumb bow, you want some distance between you and the mooring ball. With a raked bow, you can sometimes harden the mooring line to get the buoy up close without hitting the bow.

Marinas are in the business of making a profit, few will let you dock for free and have a free shower. Some will let you stay for a free lunch at their restaurant. You can anchor out and dinghy in. But even then some object to you using the facilities.
Faster likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-30-2013
Just another Moderator

How we tie up to mooring buoys depends on what they're made of.. the old park buoys in BC were f/g hardshell and with a longish pennant they would eventually start banging on the hull.. we tried to tie up short to keep them under the bow overhang (not practical with today's plumb bows) The newer ones are softer and less of an issue in that regard.

Marinas will often have a day stop rate (usually 1/2 day rate) and you'll have access to their facilities that way... VERY few are likely to let you dinghy in and use the shower/laundry. In many places water is rather precious on the islands and mid summer especially they will preserve supplies for paying customers. Some marinas have restricted watering rules then too - x gals limit/no washing/etc.... Some of the marina/fuel docks that offer groceries/facilities are set up to allow you a couple of hours free while you shop (Refuge Cove comes to mind).. in other areas it's just a 'Gov't dock' and it's first come first served there but rafting is usually allowed.

Nanaimo, Ganges, Madiera Park, Comox, for a few, will allow short term tieups that way.

Old 04-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

There is a good guidebook (Home | Waggoner Cruising Guide) that covers the Puget Sound up to Alaska that answers the marina question nicely. It really can vary. The ones that aren't free for a couple of hours will normally change a small fee like 10-20 cents per foot for 3 hours of moorage. The book is really boring, but helpful and updated every year.

Get a solar shower and you can shower on the front of your boat for free (in a bathing suit at least). Just tie it to the jib halyard (clipped to the forestay) and raise it up above head level. Don't forget to have a messenger line of some sort to get it back down.

I haven't been north of the San Juans yet, but I found it easier to find good anchorages than to use mooring balls. I'd rather have a longer row into land then be stacked up super close in a mooring field.