Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: My last little bit of planning

btw in BC park buoys charge around $12/night, park floats charge $2/meter first come first served. Rafting is often permitted but you're charged the same. This time of year they may not be staffed or charging for these services, but that may depend on the park. Many of them now use self registration honour systems too.

Anchoring is free, of course, but there are some restricted zones (False Creek in Vancouver, aircraft zones in Nanaimo harbour and Ganges, etc..)

Most parks will offer shore toilet facilities, so some exercise if you're rowing/paddling will reduce the pressure on your holding tank system. Like WA state our parks provide some true gems.. sunset at the shell beach at Montague Harbour... Portland, Wallace and Newcastle Island's hikes, Hornby's Tribune Bay (settled/NW conditions only), the Copelands (more good sunsets) and on and on.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Rafting, I was reading about that today, does that mean that when I tie up to a buoy I need to put fenders down because someone, even a big fishing boat, can park next to me? I sure wouldn't like that! I like my space. The book said B.C. makes you let people raft 3 wide.

It may not be crowded now, but the summer will catch up soon.

The honour system must be like the marine parks in Washington, I remember sticking $17 in envelopes to camp in my kayak in the San Juans.
Old 04-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

There's no rafting on BC park buoys.. in fact they have a one boat rule (though I think it ought to be a displacement limit instead) but rafting at gov't/municipal docks is pretty common. It not the usual practice at private marinas unless it's arranged with a group or both/all parties are good with it.

Try to find a similar sized boat to tie up to if you end up having to raft somewhere.. it's difficult to raft up to many powerboats - the tend to have flared topsides that don't mix well with stanchions and lifelines. In certain areas you'll find already rafted - in some cases rather derelict - vessels you may have to tie to.

You can resist being rafted to - few will press the issue but in some places it is expressly required if it gets busy.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-30-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Nanaimo has a 40 foot limit on the buoys.

When you raft make sure that your fenders at at the rub rail / toe rail height rather than touching the water.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-01-2013

West marine has a $30 solar panel. Will that work for topping off my battery?

I'm going to get sheet to tiller.

End of boom to tie rail to cleat at tiller. Bungees on other side. This really works? It's a lot of snap shackles if it doesn't lol.

Should I o line at boom to single block to tiller or becket block at toe rail to end of boom to toe rail to tiller or does it not matter?

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 05-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

No. It is a 1.8 watt panel. A general rule of thumb is that you get about 4-5 watt hours for each watt that the panel produces per day. That is about 9 watt-hours from that panel to your battery at best. A group 24 battery (80ah * 12v) is about 960 watt hours.

A 20 to 30 watt panel minimum, plus alternator on your outboard, is about the minimum that works well. You'll also need a charge controller. The best controller that I'm aware of for this size panel is the Genasun GV-4. I don't think that West Marine sells any MPPT-style charge controllers, just inexpensive shunt based ones like this:
SUNFORCE 8.5 Amp Charge Controller at West Marine

Those get much less efficiency out of the panel (enough so that it's often less expensive to get a smaller panel and a better controller than a large panel with a cheaper controller).

I don't think that you can add a very useful solar charger for much under $150 unless you find a used setup.
Old 05-01-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Note they don't srell that as a charger, they call it a maintainer. It will keep a fully charged battery fully charged, against the normal internal self-discharge. It is not designed to charge batteries that are not full, just to keep the full ones from going flat.
Old 05-01-2013

I don't think I'm going to be able to sell this boat after all ill have done. I mean. It's fun an im learning a lot. Maybe I can sail it tonoortland at the end of summer. Anyways. Thanks. I'll see what they've got. Also Alex that other chandlery in Pietland. Maybe they have other options.

Other rise I guess I would need a shore power cord which I also don't have and plyg it in every couple of days at marinas. but that's not as cool, and I'd probably still need a controller

Offhand do you know how much power typical led running lights or an led anchor light use?
Old 05-01-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Most LED running lights use 1-2 watts (usually 2 for the front, 1 for the back, 1 for the anchor). It can vary and older ones would be more.

Does your outboard have an alternator? That will normally supply 2-4 amps at cruising speed.

You need a shore power cable and battery charger to charge batteries from shore power. My Catalina 25 had a shore power cable, but no charger, so plugging it in didn't do anything for the batteries. A charger plus shore power cable cost more than the solar setup, though the cables aren't too hard to find used.
Old 05-01-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Nanaimo has a 30 knot limit on their bouys, which will void your insurance in stronger winds. You have two choices, tie short and hear the chain rasping up and down in the buoy all night ,or tie long, and hear thehard buoy banginbg against your hull all night long. It may cost you $5 an hour to park your dinghy in town there. It takes a lot of loonies to get the hot water to the showers on Newcastle Island. Expect to be woken up early by planes taking off a few feet above your mast at first light.
Nanaimo has become increasingly hostile to visiting cruisers. If you sail north from Silva Bay to Sechelt, you will avoid not only Nanaimo, but the torpedo testing area north of there. Sechelt has a small breakwater you can anchor behind, and good shopping, as well as a downtown swiming pool with all the comforts, all within short walking distance ,unlike Nanaimo. Zero Harbour patrol in Sechelt( Harbour NAZIs).