Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Pacific Northwest & Alaska
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
My last little bit of planning

As some of you may know, I have recently purchased and done my best to outfit a 1971 Ranger 23 in Port Townsend Washington.

I got hit by a couple of late winter storms in late march and early april and I have returned to Eugene Oregon to get the title switched to my name and registered. While here I got insanely lucky and just happened to check craigslist Eugene and that morning a Avon 8 was listed for $100 firm. It's in great shape and now I have a uniquely tribal painted dinghy.

I'm returning the end of April when the forecast shows 66-68 and sunny. I picked up my passport that arrived at home while I was gone so now I can get into Canada. I dropped my road bike and 60 pounds of road bike clothes off because I thought my little boat could take it, but it turned out to be too much of a pain and it took up the entire v berth.

I plan to go to the San Juans, specifically Lopez Island May first, then the Gulf's, and up as far as I can, which I think will be Desolation Sound.

Here is how my boat is outfitted and please recommend things I need, because I should get them here. I know I don't have everything, but I am doing better than I thought.

Sailboat, newer sails, deck hardware and lines, older but good looking standing rigging.
2006 Yamaha 6hp, 6 gallon tank(how many extra tanks should I bring?), seafoam
8 foot dinghy, neatly folded in bag, footpump
Smallish dog with food, water and lifejacket, Corgi
All safety equipment required by law, nothing more
Good selection of charts from Bellingham to Victoria, down to the bottom of Whidbey Island
Washburns Tables, Tide Book, and book with pictures of the currents that complements the tables. Goes from Port Townsend to Powell River.
Butane Stove, backup tiny backpacking stove.
Pot, pan, silverware, dishes.
2 sets of coastal foul weather gear
5 quick dry camping pants, 5 shirts, 4 jackets, 5 wool socks, 5 camping underwear, 2 wool hats, sun hats, 2 pairs sunglasses, sailing gloves, hiking shoes, Sperry deck shoes.
120 amp newish battery([B]no charger[B])
150, 130, 90 jibs. Spinnaker. Main with one reef.
Boat hook, spinnaker pole(most likely use as backup boom in case...)
Portable Vhf
one book!
Porta potti
led interior battery powered lights
Tool box, some spare hardware, Epoxy kit, rig tape, electric and plumbing tape.
22 lb. Bruce anchor, chain, 150 feet rode
big and small danforth, chain and rode
iPhone

So that's about it. How does my plan sound, anything that you have found indespensible that I just have to have??

Any ideas on places I need to stop at? I plan to mostly anchor, and dinghy ashore for showers, hikes, visits and supplies.

I hope to learn alot of skills so I can one day cross the ocean or sail all the way to Alaska, or both.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: My last little bit of planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
As some of you may know, I have recently purchased and done my best to outfit a 1971 Ranger 23 in Port Townsend Washington.

I got hit by a couple of late winter storms in late march and early april and I have returned to Eugene Oregon to get the title switched to my name and registered. While here I got insanely lucky and just happened to check craigslist Eugene and that morning a Avon 8 was listed for $100 firm. It's in great shape and now I have a uniquely tribal painted dinghy.

I'm returning the end of April when the forecast shows 66-68 and sunny. I picked up my passport that arrived at home while I was gone so now I can get into Canada. I dropped my road bike and 60 pounds of road bike clothes off because I thought my little boat could take it, but it turned out to be too much of a pain and it took up the entire v berth.

I plan to go to the San Juans, specifically Lopez Island May first, then the Gulf's, and up as far as I can, which I think will be Desolation Sound.

Here is how my boat is outfitted and please recommend things I need, because I should get them here. I know I don't have everything, but I am doing better than I thought.

Sailboat, newer sails, deck hardware and lines, older but good looking standing rigging.
2006 Yamaha 6hp, 6 gallon tank(how many extra tanks should I bring?), seafoam
8 foot dinghy, neatly folded in bag, footpump
Smallish dog with food, water and lifejacket, Corgi
All safety equipment required by law, nothing more
Good selection of charts from Bellingham to Victoria, down to the bottom of Whidbey Island
Washburns Tables, Tide Book, and book with pictures of the currents that complements the tables. Goes from Port Townsend to Powell River.
Butane Stove, backup tiny backpacking stove.
Pot, pan, silverware, dishes.
2 sets of coastal foul weather gear
5 quick dry camping pants, 5 shirts, 4 jackets, 5 wool socks, 5 camping underwear, 2 wool hats, sun hats, 2 pairs sunglasses, sailing gloves, hiking shoes, Sperry deck shoes.
120 amp newish battery([B]no charger[B])
150, 130, 90 jibs. Spinnaker. Main with one reef.
Boat hook, spinnaker pole(most likely use as backup boom in case...)
Portable Vhf
one book!
Porta potti
led interior battery powered lights
Tool box, some spare hardware, Epoxy kit, rig tape, electric and plumbing tape.
22 lb. Bruce anchor, chain, 150 feet rode
big and small danforth, chain and rode
iPhone

So that's about it. How does my plan sound, anything that you have found indespensible that I just have to have??

Any ideas on places I need to stop at? I plan to mostly anchor, and dinghy ashore for showers, hikes, visits and supplies.

I hope to learn alot of skills so I can one day cross the ocean or sail all the way to Alaska, or both.
More books, lots more books

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

A pair of Ketchikan tennies, gumboots! Also some thick wool pants, drys easier, more comfortable then foulies on those misty drizzly days. 6 pairs of really good wool socks, a few wool caps....Sounds like a great adventure, the PNW my training ground for further adventures offshore. Keep heading North if your time, finances and courage are in order!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 04-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
More books, lots more books
Or get an e reader..... books take up a lot of room.

Desolation is beyond Powell River, you'll want either Ports and Passes, or the Canadian Govt volumes 5 and 6 (IIRC) in case you push a bit north of Deso itself.

Gems to visit north of the border:

Sidney Island (watch your depths)
Cowichan Bay
Ganges on Saltspring
Chemanius
Wallace Island park
Pirates Cove
Nanaimo/Newcastle Is
Jedidiah Island
Smuggler Cove
Tribune Bay (in settled/westerly conditions)
Copeland Islands
Tenedos
Squirrel Cove
Von Donop
Gorge Harbour
Malaspina inlet

Provision at Refuge Cove, Squirrel Bay store, Heriot Bay on Quadra, maybe avoid Campbell River - fishermans haven and bait tank hell - plus considerable daily currents in passage

Good luck
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

North,

We fished for many years out of San Francisco, (avatar) about the only thing to run into was the Farrallone Islands. We also fished "up there", from Campbell River north to Langara Island for 25 years. One of the strange, to us, things was the vast number of "wash rocks" very far from shore, EVERYWHERE. GOOD, DETAILED charts are a MUST if it is your first time in an area. Also, pads of kelp in calm water can mean it is SHALLOW

Didn't see a fathometer on your list, if not, really suggest you get one. My apologies if you already knew all of this.,

Paul T
Old 04-20-2013

no, no, every bit of information helps.

One of my main questions is how many gallons of gas I should be able to carry?
Old 04-20-2013

Quote:
no, no, every bit of information helps.

One of my main questions is how many gallons of gas I should be able to carry?
Depends on a whole lot of things, wind, or lack of it, big time currents, beating into a big steep chop, "schedule", if any, route, meaning fuel availability, that time of year some places may not be open, available space on the boat, may not be a good idea to keep it below.

You didn't say 2 or 4 stroke motor? If 4 stroke you may burn about a half a gallon an hour. With no wind or current your boat may make about 5 knots?
So, it looks like about 10 miles per gallon under ideal conditions, if I have done the math correctly. If it is a 2 stroke it looks close to about 1 gallon an hour.

Tohatsu Outboards: Estimated Fuel Consumption for Tohatsu Outboard Motors

How much to carry? As much as you can securely stow. For storage purposes, maybe more smaller containers rather than fewer large. Suggest you secure them as best you can.

Paul T
Old 04-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post

You didn't say 2 or 4 stroke motor? If 4 stroke you may burn about a half a gallon an hour. With no wind or current your boat may make about 5 knots?
So, it looks like about 10 miles per gallon under ideal conditions

Paul T
thanks. It is a four stroke. I think it can push my boat at right around 5 knots, like you said.

I think when I'm motoring it will be because of lack of wind, so should be pretty good sea state.

There are a lot of currents, and sometimes I will no doubt go against them, but I am planning to use them to my advantage whenever I can.

I have a six gallon tank attached to the outboard, and I was thinking two more two gallon tanks. That's 10 gallons, so 100 miles? That should get me where I need to go. Can't be too much further than 100 miles apart.

They will have to be stowed in the cupboard in the cockpit. What's the specific name for that? Is it a locker?
Old 04-20-2013

Quote:
thanks. It is a four stroke. I think it can push my boat at right around 5 knots, like you said.

I think when I'm motoring it will be because of lack of wind, so should be pretty good sea state.

There are a lot of currents, and sometimes I will no doubt go against them, but I am planning to use them to my advantage whenever I can.

I have a six gallon tank attached to the outboard, and I was thinking two more two gallon tanks. That's 10 gallons, so 100 miles? That should get me where I need to go. Can't be too much further than 100 miles apart.

They will have to be stowed in the cupboard in the cockpit. What's the specific name for that? Is it a locker?
The wind may very well be right on your nose a lot. I am not very familiar with the areas from Victoria to Campbell River, but north of there, IIRC, it can be pretty remote, especially that time of year. Carry as much as you can and get fuel at every opportunity. Suggest you get some good cruising guides for the area and study them well before going.

I think it is called a lazerette. If it is open to the inside of the boat be careful of the tanks venting, if so, suggest a vapor alarm.

Let us know how your trip goes, and be really carefull with the weather. Although you are not exposed to the open ocean, it can get REALLY rough. I have seen it from the air, many times.

Paul T
Old 04-20-2013
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you're only going as far as Desolation Sound you should be able to find fuel in a few spots. Powell River, Lund, Refuge Cove and Herriot Bay come to mind. Venturing a bit north or even around Desolation Sound and into the inlets, you will likely be doing a lot of motoring unless you have a lot (a lot) of time on your hands. As Dabnis correctly points out the wind will often be right on your nose and beating your way through this is a real slog in the narrow passages. As has been said, going anywhere north of Desolation, fuel becomes difficult to come by. The fuel you are considering is less than I would carry myself.

Other than more fuel, I would suggest you need a prawn and/or crab trap, maybe a jigging rod all of which can be collapsible and of course a fishing license.
jrd22 likes this.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 04-20-2013 at 11:17 PM.