SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest & Alaska (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/)
-   -   Crossing to Vancouver from Gulf Islands (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-northwest-alaska/99406-crossing-vancouver-gulf-islands.html)

northoceanbeach 05-11-2013 08:00 PM

Crossing to Vancouver from Gulf Islands

I'm in Ganges and would like to cross to Vancouver. Would you recommend cruising north in the gulfs further before crossing or can I go out active pass an then northeast.

I heard people anchor in the Fraer Rover and it os right by town an a fun spot to be. True? Other recommendations? I'm trying to decidebetween Vancouer and Victoria. They are in different directions so for now I need to pick one.

Capt Len 05-11-2013 10:13 PM

Re: Crossing to Vancouver from Gulf Islands

You may have to flip a coin,,,,, N or S .If south, its all about tide. Ebb tide from Ganges and find anchor in Chatham or Darcy before flood. Definitely want an ebb from Discovery around or behind Trial and on to Vic. No anchoring available in Vic.,,, If N you got 5 choices to get into the straights; closest is Haro ,Big traffic and big tide and leave you at the mercy of maybe big westerly with nowhere to go but into it. Going up Trincomalli to Pollier and out with a flood is easier than Active and gives a better slant on Vancouver. Even better with a SE. Also passes at Gabriola and Dod's into Naniamo Not a good choice to go into the river. Better is False Creek in downtown Van and dingy to Granville Is Market.If you avoid the bright and sinful lights of Van and you want to make North a SE can take you right up the Sunshine coast to Paradise.I've made Desolation to Van single handed nonstop but its a long day and bypasses many great bays and small towns .But life is full of choices.

Faster 05-12-2013 06:24 PM

From Ganges (I know this might be too late) I'd take a route up Trincomali channel and go out through Porlier Pass. The heading to Point Grey from there is a decent sail whether its blowing SE or NW.. From Active pass a NW wind would be a long day, from Gabriola a SE blow is the same.

Anchoring may be possible at Steveston, or transient moorage available too, but you're a long way from anywhere else in the city. Plus you need to deal with the spoil off SandHeads light and the long river entrance. False Creek is more straightforward, you can get a temporary anchor permit and you're smack in the middle of the city.

Victoria is cool too, but busy, and a bit pricey, no anchoring, and it's 'the other way'...

jackdale 05-13-2013 12:42 AM

Each pass has strong currents. You want to go through soon after the turn to flood.

You do not want to try to sail through Active Pass, way too much ferry traffic. If you do try it, stay as far over to the starboard side of the channel as possible and listen for the Securite message as the ferries enter the pass. Get in touch with them either on VHF 16 or 11.

You have have better luck sailing going through Porlier. Be aware that tugs and barges like to go through with the current.

If you in False Creek on Thursday, I will be at the docks. Check at the Blue Pacific office.

Brent Swain 05-13-2013 08:47 PM

Silva bay to English bay is a short beam reach in either a southeasterly or northwesterly , but I have run into a rare northeasterly there once. Odds of that are slight tho. Shortest route from the Island to Vancouver

Uricanejack 05-14-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1029112)
From Ganges (I know this might be too late) I'd take a route up Trincomali channel and go out through Porlier Pass. The heading to Point Grey from there is a decent sail whether its blowing SE or NW.. From Active pass a NW wind would be a long day, from Gabriola a SE blow is the same.

Anchoring may be possible at Steveston, or transient moorage available too, but you're a long way from anywhere else in the city. Plus you need to deal with the spoil off SandHeads light and the long river entrance. False Creek is more straightforward, you can get a temporary anchor permit and you're smack in the middle of the city.

Victoria is cool too, but busy, and a bit pricey, no anchoring, and it's 'the other way'...

+1 to Polier. Forget Active to busy and you are going the wrong way plus you have further to go on other side.
Ither Slack works.
Plan for LW slack at Polier Be aware it can flood at 9 kns.
You aint going to get through in a sailing vessel if its ebbing.
If you motor from ganges to Polier plan on about 3 hrs to get there.
If your sailing spend a day sailing round to Wallace Island Conover Cove very nice. Your an hour or so to Polier from there.
If current not right at Polier continue North to Gabriola, Silva Bay is nice stop over.
Once your on the straights head for the Ski Hills Cypress Bowl is the most westerly and will keep you well clear of Sand Heads, TA Bouy, Iona lot of comercial traffic in the area.
As you get closer you will be able to pick up Pt Atkinson and other features head into English Bay you can anchor there or in False Creek.
If you leave early AM and slack at Poilier is Miday ish you can get to Vancouver in 1 day.
Coming back Vancouver to Silva Bay is a good first day no need to worry about Slack.

Faster 05-14-2013 10:01 AM

Silva Bay is fast losing it's appeal as an anchorage. Each year there are more anchored docks, non-transient vessels and finding a decent spot can be tough in summer. The marinas are OK but of course pricey in high season. It does/always will have the advantage of being a timing-free destination/departure point being outside the pass.

In our experience, Silva to English Bay in a SE can be a struggle, at best a one tack fetch hard on the wind, at worst a hard knock into Roger Curtiss on Bowen. Porlier to Pt Grey is a more reliable 'reach' whether SE or NW conditions.

northoceanbeach 05-15-2013 12:21 AM

I'm not heade there just yet but soon. So not too late. I've got to not be in a hurry. My favorite part is the sailing but I've been skipping too much.

jackdale 05-15-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northoceanbeach (Post 1030393)
I'm not heade there just yet but soon. So not too late. I've got to not be in a hurry. My favorite part is the sailing but I've been skipping too much.

Yep lots to see and do. Port Browning on a Saturday night should not be missed.

The ride to the Hummingbird is worth the stay in Montague.

Then there is sunset at Princess Bay (Wallace Island).