Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013

granche1 is on a distinguished road
Coskpit floor leak on 86 PSC 37

Hey guys.

Another day, another problem to address. While in the engine compartment, with my lady running a hose in the cockpit, I noticed copious amounts of water coming in from the engine compartment ceiling/cockpit floor. I have never had to pull the floor out and wonder what to expect for this repair. My boat is an 86 and the cockpit floor is a single piece bolted down with 8 fasteners. unfortunately, I have a wheel and will have to pull the pedestal in order to remove the cockpit floor.

So my questions are;

How is the floor bedded down? Gasket, silicon, 4200?

How hard is it to remove the pedestal?

How hard is it to put the pedestal back in, adjust the steering cables and reseal everything?

Thanks for any insight and tips in undertaking this project. At least we are in Costa Rica!

Grant

s/v Viandante
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
Re: Coskpit floor leak on 86 PSC 37

Grant,
It sounds like your boat was originally tiller steered and converted to wheel.Most wheel boats have a 2 piece floor to allow engine access without pulling the pedestal.Before pulling everything apart I would check the scuppers for leaks .If you must pull the floor the nuts are accessed from below thru the lazarette.Since mine is tiller steered I cannot help with the pedestal but the floor itself is not sealed with any sealant there is a gasket around the perimeter.Once you have the floor out I would seriously consider cutting it in two pieces with a sealing strip between them to allow future access to the packing gland,transmission etc. without the hassle.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 06-22-2013

Thank you Chuck for your response. I think that the 2 piece floor was instigated at some point after the year that my boat was built. Mine lacks the telltale bowed rear seats that from what I have read, were part of the whole tiller arrangement. Regardless, I have heard that the 2 piece floors have some sort of gasket sealing them. Is this the same on the one piece floor? What gasket is this and where do you get it? Thumper says that he has never seen a boat of my vintage and therefore recommended sealing it with 4200 or something which to me seems like it would work, but would make future removal of the floor impossible. So in your experience, is there a gasket that seals the whole single cockpit floor? I really do not want to screw around with my pedestal. As much as I love knowing the in's and outs of my boat, I can think of several other multi day projects that I should tackle. I would love to have a two piece floor so that I can get better access to the engine. How would you go about fabricating this from the single piece that I already have? Mind you that I am in Costa Rica and have a limited amount of time before I set sail for points more remote and even harder to get parts shipped to.

I seriously appreciate the help. I am putting off dealing with this until I can wrap my head around it a little better.

Grant

s/v Viandante
Old 06-23-2013

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

Yes Pacific Seacraft redid the mold sometime between 86 and 89 to convert the cockpit sole hatch from a single piece that ran the length of the cockpit (with engine access from a panel in the quarterberth) to the current design with a hatch half the length of the cockpit and engine access thru that hatch.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Old 06-23-2013
scuppersinspired

scuppersinspired is on a distinguished road

I have an 81' PSC 37. I was under mine the other day and it is some kind of sealant not a gasket. I know the previous owner had a new transmission put in so what they used to reseal it I have no idea. I only hope that if I ever need to take it apart it will come apart. If there was a gasket I would think they would of tried to reuse it. Sorry not much help.
Scup
Old 06-24-2013

niftynickers is on a distinguished road

Grant,
If you remove the cockpit floor then I would think that any good carpentry shop could cut the floor with a beveled edge that could then be sealed with a gasket.On my boat the gasket is a thick neoprene type material that I think was obtained from McMaster-Carr.The old gasket had dried up and cracked.
My first question is : can the leaking that you observed be controlled by tightening the bolts until you do get to a better place to do this repair or is it so bad that it endangers the seaworthyness of the vessel? Can your bilge pump keep up with any water intrusion?
In my opinion the removable cockpit floor is a big feature of our boats as it allows large people like me to access the rear of the engine easily and sealing it with silicon or similar would negate that feature.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 06-27-2013

Hey guys thanks for the input. I tried tightening the bolts but that did not really help at all. The leak is not one that could threaten to sink the boat. The problem for me is that salt water rains down on the motor. Not so much a problem when at the dock, but it is nice to be able to throw a few gallons of seawater in the cockpit every couple weeks while cruising. We will forgo that luxury on this next segment until I can get some gasket material. Today I unbolted the floor and pushed it up a few inches to scope a peak at what might be in there and found nothing! No gasket and no sealant. I am thinking to put some foam weather stripping in there similar to what you would use between the bed of a truck and a shell. Bolted down tight, it seems like it could do the trick. I am hoping that I can get this done without removing the pedestal and steering cables. It was a bear, but I was able to push the floor up without disconnecting anything. I imagine that this water leaking in has been going on for years but I have just never been in the "engine room" while the cockpit was being washed. I have noticed salt deposits in there in the past and only now figured out their origin.

Thanks for the help and if anyone has any better ideas I would love to hear em.

Grant

s/v Viandante
Old 07-02-2013

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road

Our 1986 PSC 37 also had a wheel and single piece cockpit floor. It was sealed with a thick layer of some sealant that was still flexible and sticky 20+ years later. We went to tiller steering so can't help re putting the wheel steering back in. We did, however, use the same 2" neoprene gasket material from McMaster Carr and it seems to be doing well.

good luck with the repair,

Jay
PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu
Happily home in Buck's Harbor, ME

Tags
cockpit floor , pacific seacraft 37 , pedestal