SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Removing Hot Water Heater (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/101493-removing-hot-water-heater.html)

RainDog 07-17-2013 09:14 PM

Removing Hot Water Heater

I am going to remove my hot water heater. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

I also would like to remove the coolant reservoir in the port locker. What purpose does this server? Any precautions I need to take when removing it?

Thanks,

Brian

tdw 07-17-2013 09:47 PM

Re: Removing Hot Water Heater

Isn't the coolant reservoir integral to cooling system in order to maintain correct engine temp and ensure there is sufficient coolant available as it expands and contracts with heat and cold. ? I'm presuming your engine is fresh water cooled and that the reservoir is part of engine cooling system.

As for removing HW Heater, I can't see what problems you would face. .

RainDog 07-17-2013 09:58 PM

My boat has 2 coolant reservoirs. I am almost certain it came that way from the factory. One is on the engine, and all that is needed I think. The other is in the port locker and related to the hot water heater I am assuming. If the hot water heater is gone, I think it can be removed too.

tdw 07-17-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainDog (Post 1060815)
My boat has 2 coolant reservoirs. I am almost certain it came that way from the factory. One is on the engine, and all that is needed I think. The other is in the port locker and related to the hot water heater I am assuming. If the hot water heater is gone, I think it can be removed too.

I guess that is the case but I didn't know HW Heaters had coolant reservoirs. I know ours has an overflow but not a reservoir, it simply drains into the bilge.

Maybe we need a reservoir. :)

YankeePSC34 07-17-2013 10:54 PM

Dave Mancini PSC34 SWAN has done it and did a description in his blog.

RainDog 07-17-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeePSC34 (Post 1060832)
Dave Mancini PSC34 SWAN has done it and did a description in his blog.

Thanks. Link her for others reference. Sounds like a much bigger job than I expected.

Outfitting6Solar

shanedennis 07-18-2013 03:52 AM

Doesn't it depend whether it is plumbed to the engine or not? Ours was not plumbed to the engine so we simply disconnected the AC and water hoses and pulled the darn thing out. We also put our solar controller there.

It was a great improvement on our PSC 34. We never used the hot water heater and the locker is now much more useful. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for the link to Mancini's solar setup. I should really look at his site every time before making changes to our boat. I like how his solar setup does not eat up the stern rail space.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jameswilson29 07-18-2013 06:52 AM

I removed the water heater from my Pearson 28 shortly after I bought it. It was plumbed to the inboard diesel. A relatively simple removal, it

1. greatly increased my access to a part of the boat that was previously inaccessible
2. gave me more storage space in the cockpit locker
3. eliminated a source of water into the bilge
4. eliminated some more complicated plumbing
5. removed a considerable amount of weight near the stern
6. and simplified the plumbing system.

To each his own. Having a pressurized hot water cockpit shower on a 28' sailboat was inconsistent with my intended use of the boat as a daysailor and coastal cruiser. A decent shower takes a considerable amount of water, more than I am willing to carry and/or use for such an extravagance on a small boat. Salt water bucket baths or a plunge into the water are an acceptable substitute for me until I can reach a shower in a marina.

I have yet to regret the decision to remove it.

Norstar 07-18-2013 06:57 AM

Brian,

Removing the HWH should be no big deal if you choose to do so.Your engine fresh water coolant is probably plumbed through it as a heat exchanger to give you hot water when operating engine and not connected to dockside power. Other than gaining some extra storage space I have to ask, why remove it? Hot water is good, right? As far as the black aluminum coolant expansion tank in the port locker, I believe it is integral to the cooling system on the engine but not totally sure what the purpose is. My guess is it adds volume to the amount of coolant in the system. Also a place to add more coolant as needed. if you open the coolant cap on the engine mounted unit, coolant will spill out.

John S
PSC 34 # 201
Norstar

Alex W 07-18-2013 11:17 AM

Im heavily considering removing mine for all of the reasons that James mentioned. Ive owned this boat for almost a year and have been cruising on it for 3 weeks and have never used the hot water heater. I shower at marinas or with a solar shower on deck. The heater overflow is the prime source of water in my bilge and i think the 28 year old heater is on its last legs too. Removing it would give me back a lot of lazarette space.