SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   PSC With Tillers, where's your compass? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/101688-psc-tillers-wheres-your-compass.html)

oceangirl 07-22-2013 08:13 PM

PSC With Tillers, where's your compass?

We want to convert our PS34 to tiller this next haul out. Need some feedback on where other conversion folks moved the compass to.

Also, anyone use the upside down compass over the tiller midline, attached to the Bimini or such..crazy idea?

Thanks,

DaveMancini 07-23-2013 10:28 AM

Re: PSC With Tillers, where's your compass?

We attached ours to the sliding hatch cover. It also reads depth. It detaches from it's mount to stow below to prevent theft. I have also seen a compass attached to an arch built over the hatchway, but it constricted the companionway. Then, there's always the most common and traditional bulkhead mount, but that means a hole in the bulkhead. A picture of our setup is at Outfitting10

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan

svjobeth 07-23-2013 11:20 AM

Ours is on the starboard bulkhead in the cockpit...

wsmurdoch 07-23-2013 03:54 PM

Our boat has the compass mounted in the port bulkhead. There are two Simrad IS-15 displays on the starboard side and two more where the engine instruments normally go below the companionway. The compass is by itself because the IS-15 instruments have a 0.5m compass safe distance. There is some wiring in the space behind the naugahyde covered panel above the fridge/freezer that I have worried a little about. But, there is much more wiring on the starboard side.

The PSC 34 that is adjacent to ours in our marina has a compass on each side.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

shanedennis 07-23-2013 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

svjobeth 07-23-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanedennis (Post 1063767)
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This is exactly where our is located - just for reference!

niftynickers 07-24-2013 04:08 PM

Just some additional info-when you have a tiller your driving position moves forward getting you much closer to the companionway.All of your instruments have to be moved forward accordingly.My boat left the factory with a tiller and the compass and depth were mounted in the starboard bulkhead with the backs in the small cabinet over the icebox.I have since mounted my radar ,GPS,chartplotter and AIS on a shelf over the companionway slider inside the dodger windshield.I also moved the engine controls (throttle and gearshift) onto the coaming on the starboard side forward of the sheet winch which I feel is where it should have been all along.
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

svjobeth 07-24-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niftynickers (Post 1064172)
Just some additional info-when you have a tiller your driving position moves forward getting you much closer to the companionway.All of your instruments have to be moved forward accordingly.My boat left the factory with a tiller and the compass and depth were mounted in the starboard bulkhead with the backs in the small cabinet over the icebox.I have since mounted my radar ,GPS,chartplotter and AIS on a shelf over the companionway slider inside the dodger windshield.I also moved the engine controls (throttle and gearshift) onto the coaming on the starboard side forward of the sheet winch which I feel is where it should have been all along.
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

Could you please provide a photo or a link to a photo showing your electronics and engine control placements? I've been considering something similar on our 34.

Thanks!