SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Depression: cabin floor and me (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/102098-depression-cabin-floor-me.html)

ellenwhite2 08-03-2013 03:08 PM

Depression: cabin floor and me

We have discovered our cabin floor, in the vicinity above the compression post is depressed 1/4 - 1/2 inch. Does anyone have any ideas what could case this? Besides a failed compression post?? Can this have a happy solution?

Ellen

oceangirl 08-03-2013 06:08 PM

Re: Depression: cabin floor and me

Sorry, I don't see which PSC you have. Can you give more info, including year? Have you talked to thumper?

ellenwhite2 08-03-2013 10:22 PM

Crealock 37. 1977. The Grandma to all you young whippersnapper PCS out there! 😘
(Sorry, can't see where to update my profile.)

oceangirl 08-04-2013 03:47 PM

If i understand what you are describing, it does seem related to the compression post. Has she ever had compression post work? At 36 years old she may need some. Are you out cruising? can you get a surveyor or a trustworthy rigger to come check it out?
Sorry cant be more helpful, maybe a more knowledgeable person will pipe up.

svjobeth 08-04-2013 05:58 PM

We have a similar situation on our 34. We're in the midst of looking at taking her up to the factory for the refit program, and this is on our list of items to quote.

And yes, it is most likely due to the deterioration of the mast compression post. I'll let everyone know what we find out...

scuppersinspired 08-04-2013 06:06 PM

I have a 81' PSC 37 and just replaced my compression post. The old one was made of steel and had almost completely rusted through. The PO had bolted some pipes onto it but these did nothing and I was shocked at what I found when I removed those pipes.
My fix was to get some 4" fiberglass exhaust tube and fill it with Fiberfiller making a solid 4" post and then glassed it into place after slightly jacking up the floor. I was having my rig redone so the mast was not on the boat at the time but I think you could do it with the mast standing if you loosened the rig up.
Not a fun job working in the bilge but nothing difficult with a little perseverance. My post had not failed as of yet so no comment on the floor depression. The steel had degenerated to a point of flaking off. You should be able to easily see your post and its current state unless someone has covered it up. If they have, I strongly recommend you do some digging.

oceangirl 08-04-2013 06:24 PM

Scupperinspired, that is a fantastic idea. Did you research the compression strength of epoxy? never thought about it before your post.
How much did you need to jack..1"? 2"? How did you do it?
Thanks

scuppersinspired 08-04-2013 06:48 PM

I consulted some boat builders before I began this repair and they gave me the idea. I built the post and they glassed it in for me. Beefy doesn't even begin to describe the post. The original glass exhaust tube is built with glass layed on overlapping diagonals and then when installed the whole thing was wrapped again in glass cloth and is going to be gel coated this week. The walls of the tube were 1/2" thick. Note I used a fiber filler not just straight epoxy. There is no other part of the boat that I have more confidence in than the compression post. When the jack was removed there was no movement at all and when my new rigged was installed it was over tentioned to strech before final adjustment. Again even with greater tention no signs at all of any movement. As far as jacking, that was the tricky part to make sure I was jacking the compression post itself and not just the floor. Mine had a fiberglass pad that the original steel I beam supported. Once I removed the steel post there was a enough room to fit in a jack which they had gotten from harbor freight that was just a spreader that was connected to a remote hand pump. This didn't require a whole lot of room.
More to come on my bilge reconfiguration.

scuppersinspired 08-04-2013 06:52 PM

I only jacked it 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Remember my post had not completely failed as of yet but I'm sure it had come down some.

ellenwhite2 08-05-2013 01:46 AM

Scuppersinspired, was your access thru the salon floor after removal of fresh water tank in the billge? We've had that tank out in the past, but it was something I never wanted to repeat. It's fiberglass and heavy and awkward! However, lifting the shower pan doesn't look like it offers much working space. No, we cannot even see the compression post fully. Probably not a good thing.
BTW we just replaced the mizzen mast compression post. Not looking forward to another Cruising Kitty ambush....