Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: Stow location for batteries on PSC 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLipiec View Post
Keith,
I did a lot of research on this subject prior to installing our new bank. One thing to think about is how the batteries will be used. John has a good write up on AGMs and full time cruising on his website Attainable Adventure Cruising (I think you need to be a member now to see his ebook). AGMs need to regularly be fully charged which is almost impossible while living aboard at anchor. He warns, after finding out the hard way, that it will "ruin your batteries in a distressingly short time". His ebook is really informative if you are looking to go that way and may literally save you thousands of dollars by learning from his experience.

If you can regularly plug the charger into dock power then it shouldn't be a problem. In that case, AGMs are great and maintenance free. We didn't do anything with our batteries for the last 5 years and never had a problem.

But since we are going cruising, we decided to go with wet cells and chose Trojan T-105s, which have a good reputation and cost half as much as AGMs. That choice limited our placement to the cockpit locker because I couldn't find any other suitable spot for them. Plus, wet cells need regular checks/watering thus easily accessible.
A post from awhile back but we were redirected to this thread from a newer one.
I replace AGMs on Crazy Fish a long time ago with 4 T-105s basically because of the cost and the lifecycles.

The one thing I disagree with in this post is the inability to fully charge the batteries when cruising. With 1 55W and 2 75W solar panels, incandescent light loads, nightly run of incandescent anchor light, daily stereo use, daily SSB use and 12V AB refrigeration I had no issue with fully charging the batteries on most every day although travels were limited between Southern California and southern Mexico.

With all lights replaced with LEDs and with no usage of the SSB, batteries are usually fully charged by noon to 2 PM in Southern California. I normally leave the boat off the grid when at the slip nowadays.

Regards
Marc
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook