Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road
Stow location for batteries on PSC 34

Hi all,

I have (2) Group 24 batteries stowed in my Port cockpit locker.
Looking to add more cuz u just can't have enough when u wanna party till the sun comes up.
I think I saw someone on the PSC forum had stowed a couple batteries under the Nav Seat. Curious what sort of support was used to make fast the batteries inside of this enclosure. Given the angular mounting flexibility of AGM's I'd guess that perhaps a sideways stacking is possible as well.
Saw some very narrow batteries laid up against the hull inside of the stbd lazerette locker. Not sure where I saw it. Loooks like a possibility as well.
I just want to get the most bang for my buck. Perhaps a different Group size would allow for better overall fit. I'll maintain the (2) in cockpit locker as my starting batteries and this new set of batteries will be the house batteries.

Thanks in advance !!
Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2013

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
Re: Stow location for batteries on PSC 34

We have two 125Ahr group 29 batteries in the port locker and another to starboard of the rudderpost on a shelf in the engine compartment. The battery to starboard of the rudderpost is accessed through a closed cutout at the foot of the quarterberth. They are all from Sams, and we replace them every three years as a matter of course. At that point they have been cycled perhaps 3x175 times. They are the house battery and are charged by the engine alternator (or the 75W solar panel). To starboard of the ruddrerpost is an Optima group 34M battery. It is the engine starting battery and is charged through a Xantrex Echo-Charge. The shelf that the batteries sit on is in the spot where wheel steered PSC 34s have their quadrant. We have engine drive refrigeration and LED lighting, so we have more than enough battery capacity.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 08-09-2013

steneck is on a distinguished road

Keith,

I have my ship batteries in my port hatch as you do.

My house batteries are two AGMs that I have on their side under the starboard settee. They are a bear to install but it gives me considerable storage.

I don't think I'd have enough room under my nav seat.

Does this help?

Bob
34' PSC Alaria
Christmas Cove, Maine
34crealock likes this.
Old 08-10-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Indigo has managed to sandwich four batteries into the location where your two are in the port cockpit locker. Best way I have seen to increase capacity on the 34. Check out his website for details.

Cruising Indigo - Home
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to RainDog For This Useful Post:
shanedennis (08-10-2013)
Old 08-11-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

I added a house bat to the port locker just aft of the bat box. It is in it's own plastic box secured to the wooden bulkhead and wired directly to the 2 other house bats. I have a third system in it's own box under the seat/ berth at the nav table. It is switched directly to the power panel and fused. It is not wired for starting but will run everything else. I charge it but switching it on and read it's charge rate on the ships ammeter.
The Following User Says Thank You to 34crealock For This Useful Post:
shanedennis (08-11-2013)
Old 08-13-2013

thor is on a distinguished road

I have two 200Ah Victron Energy AGMs snugly fit in the battery box in the port locker and the starter battery (Oddssey) in the space under the nav seat/quarterberth. Very happy with this so far but have not spent extended time out and about yet.
Old 08-13-2013

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road

Keith,
I did a lot of research on this subject prior to installing our new bank. One thing to think about is how the batteries will be used. John has a good write up on AGMs and full time cruising on his website Attainable Adventure Cruising (I think you need to be a member now to see his ebook). AGMs need to regularly be fully charged which is almost impossible while living aboard at anchor. He warns, after finding out the hard way, that it will "ruin your batteries in a distressingly short time". His ebook is really informative if you are looking to go that way and may literally save you thousands of dollars by learning from his experience.

If you can regularly plug the charger into dock power then it shouldn't be a problem. In that case, AGMs are great and maintenance free. We didn't do anything with our batteries for the last 5 years and never had a problem.

But since we are going cruising, we decided to go with wet cells and chose Trojan T-105s, which have a good reputation and cost half as much as AGMs. That choice limited our placement to the cockpit locker because I couldn't find any other suitable spot for them. Plus, wet cells need regular checks/watering thus easily accessible.
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2013

I found this article from last January informative on AGMs (and does not require a subscription to the full AAC site to access):
Offshore Sailboat Battery Test, 18 Month Report
Old 08-13-2013

For whatever reason just going to the link wants you to login (pay), but if you do a google search for "cruising with agm" the article is listed half way down the page and you can follow it to the full article.
Old 08-14-2013

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road

Bill Crealock, in his brilliance, designed the battery box location in the port cockpit locker on the 34 so that it shared a bulkhead with the refrigerator. If you are cruising in the tropics or intend to, this fact is important because one of the more difficult things to do in the tropics is to keep the batteries cool enough to allow efficient charging and prevent thermal runaway. A friend of mine on another boat had a battery blow up a month ago. Not pretty.

As I write this, it is 100º (La Paz, Mexico). The temperature in our battery box is 78º (just checked). Two factors contribute to the cooler temperature: 1) the batteries are below the waterline and the sea temp (84º) is cooler than the air and 2) the fridge is at 35º. Something to think about.

We managed to fit three group 27 AGM's in the stock battery box (see picture at Outfitting10) by bonding in a piece of teak under the outboard battery to level it with the others. Then we blocked it in and lashed it down with big zip ties. The box lip restrains it as well.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan

Last edited by DaveMancini; 08-14-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.