Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Considering PSC for family of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
There are few boats on that list with that PHRF. The list is here:

PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps.
OOooooohhhhh, and the Hunter 40 spanks the C400! Love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

[quote=Cruisingdad;1074387][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post

No. I have zero, zilch, notta commercial interest. Just like I have no commercial interest in Sailnet. I do this ALL FOR FREE, and am happy to beat up Catalina if (and when) they do something stupid.

The Tech editors are a non-paying job run by what is hopefully the technical expert for those boats. We are ALL owners, nothing else. They have never sent me one red cent (though I did get a hat once, but it didn't fit right).
I stand corrected. Sorry.

But I still believe there is something magical about PSC 34s.

I was up on deck in my underpants last night. There was a strong tidal current pushing the boat one way and a moderate breeze nudging it the other way into the mooring ball.

The solidness of the deck under my feet, the bronze portholes in the moonlight, the lines of the bow, looking around at the production boats around me it was hard not to believe I was on the most magical boat in the mooring field.
Old 08-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
We are joking about Brent swain right? I'm placing all my faith in his composting head instructions just avoid his boats right? Not his poo disposal expertise?
Now THIS is the best post of the thread, followed buy yours above Smack!!!

I see trouble brewing...

Brian

PS Raindog and Ocean, since we have all made up, you want me to give you my strong opinion (stronger than the speed virtues of a PSC) on composting heads for boats (BIG SNICKER)????

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-15-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
you want me to give you my strong opinion (stronger than the speed virtues of a PSC) on composting heads for boats (BIG SNICKER)????
Afraid we are taking the plunge this weekend either way. After $2000+, over 10 head rebuilds, 4 new heads, all new hoses, rebuilt holding tanks.... I finally give up. A guy can only take so much.

More importantly my wife declared composting it will be. So it will be.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 08-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

[quote=shanedennis;1074411][quote=Cruisingdad;1074387]
Quote:

I stand corrected. Sorry.

But I still believe there is something magical about PSC 34s.

I was up on deck in my underpants last night. There was a strong tidal current pushing the boat one way and a moderate breeze nudging it the other way into the mooring ball.

The solidness of the deck under my feet, the bronze portholes in the moonlight, the lines of the bow, looking around at the production boats around me it was hard not to believe I was on the most magical boat in the mooring field.
A boat speaks to you, doesn't it? I love your post because that is certainly what it is all about. Screw the speed. To heck with the cockpits. Who cares what the PHRF is. So what if your boat is just a coastal production boat? Man, when the boat speaks to you, and she has your trust, it forms a strange relationship, doesn't it?

One of my favorites was a around midnight (maybe before) many years back on a crossing from Pensacola to Fort Myers Beach. We were hundreds of miles offshore, yet I thought I saw a fire off to port. I couldn't figure it out. Turns out it was a harvest moon rising over the waters. Breathtaking. I took this pic the next day. Kinda different:

And talk about midnight pics, I have one for you. I shot this one while on the ball at Boot Key, Marathon. It was one of the stillest nights I have ever known. The water was glass. I woke up and looked out of the cockpit and the lights from all the boats reflected in harmony across the bay. You can see it here, but it was better in person. One of those tranquil moments in time when you stay up another hour to stare at it when you should be going back to bed.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Afraid we are taking the plunge this weekend either way. After $2000+, over 10 head rebuilds, 4 new heads, all new hoses, rebuilt holding tanks.... I finally give up. A guy can only take so much.

HAHA! Dont worry, bro! I had absolutely NO interest in arguing anymore. I am done arguing, though I think it was a great discussion and everyone stayed civil (much better than the Hunter debates, snicker).

The wife rules this boat too!!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
OOooooohhhhh, and the Hunter 40 spanks the C400! Love it!
Just so you know, I raced with one on our last run down here from St Pete. Fast boat, but can't point as high as we can. I outran him. Keep that in mind as you start racing her.

You have a polar for that boat? Check it out. It will help you fine tune your tactics, but I suspect you are a beam reacher.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-15-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

I loved the psc and if I could afford it would now have two boats. Still as Paulo and Bob repetitive have pointed out there have been advances in naval architecture. As Wolf ice pointed out this may be true but does not negate the beauty strength and performance of older designs. Still the op posited liveaboard for four people. .in this context Brian is right
Old 08-15-2013

ellenwhite2 is on a distinguished road
Considering PSC for family of 4

Well! I see I am late in defending myself ( and lovely Crealock 37) from you, Brian. I only have 1 question: do you think we might sail faster if I ditched Bob's 1000 lbs of tools? How about the 250 lbs of cat litter? The cat? Bob? Just wondering......... And to the OP: yes, our boat is less roomy, so we always head to Cruising Dads boat to drink his booze!!
Old 08-15-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you are have been trying to compare a 40+ foot "production boat" with a 34 foot PSC, then I many of your arguments make a lot more sense as far as room and speed go, but that is kind of a silly comparison. You can really only compare boats of a similar length.

For sure 90% of the speed of your boat will come from LWL. This will completely dwarf any other consideration.
Well you can compare 2 boats of the same water length or that are the same price. I think that was CD's point that for the same money he can get a much bigger boat, not just length but interior for the weekending. So it will be faster based on a more modern design, and longer water line, but be about the same money, or even less but also get twice (or more) room. I like the look of the more traditional boats, but real off shore cruising is a ways off for me so I think there are some good compromises out there, and for some the Catalina 400 would be it. Heck some think of it as a heavy slow cruiser.

Quote:

I think composting is the way to go. It seems that in lots of places it even makes sense for land home use. I know I was looking at a house that was on the Hudson River, as in the back of the house was about 50 feet from the water. The septic system was shot, that was very obvious and the previous deals had fallen through because they could not get financed due to the septic system. That close to the river and there was no way to get the health department to sign off on anything but a raised bed clay lined system and that was starting at about the value of the house. I figured put in a composting system and use a dry well for grey water. But the spouse was not so inclined! Our real estate broker kept asking me where will the s***t go?

For a boat it just makes sense (or is that scent!) to me. No holding tank, no sloshing slop of nastiness. It is not all roses, but sure seems easier to deal with. The C-Head looks kind of cool, but the airhead/natures head seem to have a really good setup. Brent's system of using a pot lid to cover his bucket and what not seems a bit rudimentary, but fits his needs. I also don't think any of them really composts it to the point that I would want to put it in a vegetable or flower garden, but in a bag into the trash seems reasonable and even dumping overboard when out to sea.