Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013

cjb is on a distinguished road
Post Considering PSC for family of 4

I am considering a Crealock PSC (34' / 37') and am interested in opinions regarding cabin space / comfort for family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) / use in the Northern Chesapeake Bay. We mainly sail Pooles Island to Annapolis area, anchor, stay overnight, etc. Any passage making would be to Bermuda or Florida.

Does anyone on the East Coast charter PSC? Else, would an present owner be kind enough to take me along for a day?

I did visit PSC in Washington, N.C. recently, and Stephen & Thumper were fantastic. The boats are incredible.

Once again, any input would be appreciated.

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Re: Considering PSC for family of 4

We are cruising on a 1989 PSC 34. The boat is very well put together. Currently in NYC on the way south. If you PM your phone number and email address I will contact you when we are in the Chesapeake.
Old 08-10-2013

Shanedennis - I can't send a PM or list an email (don't have enough posts yet). I'll try again tomorrow.
Thanks - cb
Old 08-11-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

Chris,

You can send a message to me here:
Contact | Shane Dennis

Shane
Old 08-13-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

CJB: IMHO a Crealock 37 is best for a couple. With 4 people you will be incomfortable. Only one head, if you are on passage only 3 bunks so you will be hot racking. Small cockpit. I sail out of Solomon's, Md.
Old 08-13-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Sailed a psc34 for a few years with the bride. Great boats. Never let you down. Got it to teach wife to sail and see how she did out of sight of land. With the secure ride all the crealock boats have she did just fine. Even so we had a lot of " excuse me s" as its a tight fit boat. Think you should look at the 40 which would be roomy or a valiant

Last edited by outbound; 08-13-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

This will obviously come out the wrong way, but not sure how else to say it...

Why anyone would buy a PSC or a Valiant to hop around the Chessy or possibly coastal hop to FL or maybe Bermuda is a mystery to me.

They are great boats, but TIGHT down below. Two adults and two teenagers... wow. So you know, I am raising and have raised my children on my boat (one a teenager now) so I have a pretty good idea what space they take up (for cruising at least). I could not comfortably do iton a Crealok 37.

I consider both of those boats a good couples or singles boat, but not one I would choose to take out with a family. Those boats are great go anywhere boats, but you are not going to be crossing oceans, right? WHy not get a boat with more space, comfort, privacy, and newer that may not have as many inherent problem? Quite candidly, the production boats are ideal for what you want to do.

If you look at a PSC, here are things to consider:

Many of the Crealoks had aluminum stanchions. Good friends of ours just replaced theirs for a mere $5000 after one broke and their crew ended up on the dock (and luckily not the water offshore). The track for the car on the cabin top had to be pulled and rebeded. That was a CHORE. Both the compression posts failed. Still in the yard for that one. The forestay pulled the stem plate loose on a crossing to Bahamas. Fixable, but more yard time in the US. They have spent insane amount of money to make that boat (or keep the boat) seaworthy.

If you buy an old Crealok, the theory is you are getting a really well made boat to go anywhere. They are (or were) well made for their time. But the reality is you are now dealing with a very old boat that inherently will have many problems as ALL old boats do. Make sure you are knowledgeable, financially prepared, and mentally ready for those issues. Its not going to be a fun family boat if it is sitting in the yard all the time, or draining your savings every time you turn around, or cramped and uncomfortable for anything more than a short weekend. Ask yourself if you would not be better suited to buy a much newer production boat that would be more comfortable, newer, and hopefully less maintenance issues and costs... even if you have to spend more for it??

Brian

PS I am not being negative on the boats. They have a place and a purpose. I just dont think this is it. BTW, if you buy a V40, many had blister issues. Look into that. THey are a comparable boat, and very well made (again, for their time).
kd3pc likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-13-2013

brokesailor, outbund, & cruisingdad

Thanks for the input -- this is what I need to hear.

Presently, we sail a 2005 Hunter 36. Volume down below is nice, but with the beam carried aft, the stern is basically flat. When broad reaching or running, the waves overtaking the stern cause a bit of uncomfortable ride (pitch, yaw, roll, repeat). The amount of free board makes docking somewhat difficult above 12 knots. (Maybe its me and not the wind!)

I did look at Valiant, but they are now out of business. Sabre isn't making any sailboats at present. I did not want to buy a boat built before 2000 for the issues mentioned. PSC has a good write up by Horner in BoatUS reviews, are still in business and on the east coast. So that's how I came to consider them. I also like the rudder design - better protection for the prop and better than a spade rudder.

Please keep the posts coming.

cb
Old 08-13-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
brokesailor, outbund, & cruisingdad

Thanks for the input -- this is what I need to hear.

Presently, we sail a 2005 Hunter 36. Volume down below is nice, but with the beam carried aft, the stern is basically flat. When broad reaching or running, the waves overtaking the stern cause a bit of uncomfortable ride (pitch, yaw, roll, repeat). The amount of free board makes docking somewhat difficult above 12 knots. (Maybe its me and not the wind!)

I did look at Valiant, but they are now out of business. Sabre isn't making any sailboats at present. I did not want to buy a boat built before 2000 for the issues mentioned. PSC has a good write up by Horner in BoatUS reviews, are still in business and on the east coast. So that's how I came to consider them. I also like the rudder design - better protection for the prop and better than a spade rudder.

Please keep the posts coming.

cb
I would take the Hunter before I took the PSC 37 for your use.

How much money are you talking about spending? BTW, note that we have a production boat (ours, C400, beam carried aft) and a double ender (Tayana 42). SO we have experience in both. And another thing I hate about these offshore boats is that they are NOTORIOUSLY slow and poor performers.

What are you trying to accomplish in the new boat that you do not like now?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-13-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
And another thing I hate about these offshore boats is that they are NOTORIOUSLY slow and poor performers.
That is a little silly, unless you are comparing it to a pure race boat. I think you would hard pressed to find anyone who has sailed a PSC or Valiant who would say it is a "notorious poor performer". Perhaps you are forgetting that your Tayana and the PSC are radically different designs.

In New England, a PSC and Catalina of a similar water are probably about 15 seconds different. For that 15 seconds you get a much more comfortable ride.

I for sure agree with you about the room. If I had two teenagers on board for more than a weekend, I would rather have private rooms for them.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas