Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Rudder Post Access Hatch

Time to finally start cutting fiberglass. Putting and access hatch at the foot of the quarterberth for rudder post access.

Any advice from anyone who has done this?

Especially, anyone wish they had made it bigger? smaller?

Anyone get it just right? If so, what are the dimensions of the hole?

I thought sure there was an old thread on this, but I cannot find it.

Thanks,

Brian
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
Re: Rudder Post Access Hatch

I have a rectangular cutout at the foot of the quarterberth that gives me access to a shelf at the back of the engine compartment. (My boat is tiller steered. The shelf is where the quadrant would be if the boat were wheel steered.) On top of the shelf are two batteries. The cut out allows me to check the water in the starboard side battery which is the third of the three group 29s in the house bank. The battery on the port side of the shelf is an Optima battery. It is the engine starting battery. It is much harder to access. That, and the fact that it has the same charging voltage requirements as the flooded batteries, is why it is an Optima.

The hole is big enough to pass the group 29 battery resting in the bottom of a plastic battery box. There are four threaded inserts set into the wall just outside of the corners. A plywood plate with sound insulation on its inside covers the hole. Four 1/4" bolts with small plastic handwheels hold the cover in place. The monkey fur serves as a gasket.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (07-13-2014), oceangirl (10-12-2013)
Old 02-19-2014

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

This is the access hole cover at the foot of the quarterberth. We use the space for storage, so there is blue carpet on the bottom. The HF antenna tuner is at the foot of the vee berth. The large white hose runs from the starboard cockpit locker to the foot well of the cockpit. It was the drain for a 12v watermaker which was mounted in the locker but is no longer on the boat. The cutout is 8"x12" and the cover is 3/4" larger all round. The hold down bolts with hand wheels screw into brass inserts set into the plywood divider between the quarterberth and the engine compartment.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
johnharch (03-02-2014), RainDog (02-19-2014)
Old 07-11-2014

Hush34 is on a distinguished road

I am contemplating a cut out also. I was wondering if you could have gone to a 12 by 12 hatch or if that would compromise hull integrity. I too have a problem getting to the rudder post and quadrant. At 250 lbs I am not really designed to be digging around in the engine compartment of the PSC. I am experimenting with a sling and the main halyard as a means to lower myself down into the compartment to do routine maintenance. Wish the canoe end had flared out a couple more inches in the stern. Anyway, Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 07-12-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
I am contemplating a cut out also. I was wondering if you could have gone to a 12 by 12 hatch or if that would compromise hull integrity.
I asked Thumper if structurally cutting this hatch was OK, and he said it was fine as long as "you don't make it too large". He did not say what constituted "too large", but I got the impression any reasonable size was fine. 12 x 12 seems pretty reasonable.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 3 Days Ago

Hush34 is on a distinguished road

Now I am really going to have to approach the rudder access hatch project seriously. I on a recent 150 mile trip that rudder packing is leaking into the bilge. If I cut this access, will I be able to put my hands on the packing and the hose clamps? I would hate to cut a hatch only to get another view of the problem area and not be able to touch it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 2 Days Ago

Pegasus34 is on a distinguished road

Attached is an image from our PSC 34 showing two round access hatches under the helmsman's seat. I am able to fit my hands through, but you can't see very well. I'm not sure if this was standard or something the a previous owner did.
Attached Thumbnails
Rudder Post Access Hatch-rudder_access.jpg