I had the wood looking real sweet. Didn't really match the interior perfectly, looked like old mahogany, which I love.
The compost head pieces looks really nice. The inside face of the box I epoxied and painted black. Outside stained and epoxied. Nice rich wood look.
The radio cabinet, which was the critical must look good piece, did not fair too well. I epoxied the backside and edges twice, and intended to do the face also. I decided at the last minute to varnish it because I was concerned about getting the epoxy super smooth. I had the stain so perfect, I was concerned the extra sanding to make it silky smooth could cut into the stain. Plus, I don't have a shop so was working out in the elements. Anyways the stain had cured for over a week. After laying a coat of varnish I noticed the stain was lifting
. The solvent in the varnish (spar) screwed with the stain
. The epoxy pieces did not have this issue. I think if I would of stuck with my plan to tung oil between stain and varnish, or epoxied it, the stain would not of lifted. I did not use any solvents, just lite denatured alcohol wipe prior to coating. I did over brush/over work the varnish, that may be the culprit.
So the radio cabinet is painted Matt black after all. I wanted it so perfect for my hubby's radio cabinet!
So end of story. Hope this helps someone. Will post pics when I can, my server keeps crashing when I try.