SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Staining birch to match interior PCS (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/104727-staining-birch-match-interior-pcs.html)

oceangirl 10-14-2013 06:45 PM

Staining birch to match interior PCS

I've searched and search, sorry if this has been discussed. Anyone have good results with matching the PSC interior?

I have birch plywood ( one radio cabinet and one custom compost head) it is cut and ready to assemble. Next step, stain then coat with varnish, or for the head, stain then clear epoxy before installing.

I think I will have to use two colors, red mahogany and a honey oak or something similar.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

CalebD 10-14-2013 09:13 PM

Re: Staining birch to match interior PCS

Is it a teak interior you are trying to match? Mahogany?

I'm not a big fan of minwax's products; especially their Polystain stuff.
Their stains I rate as fair to middling.

M.L. Campbell makes some oil based stains that I rate as very good - but they are harder to find.

Then there are Japan colors that you would use to make up your own custom color.

It is going to be fairly difficult to get a color match that lasts over time, given the different base wood species. I'd bet that the oil stains (ML Campbell) would hold up the best.

My $.02.

oceangirl 10-14-2013 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our interior is Teak, it is the darker of the PSC teak stains used that is on our teak.

Cap-Couillon 10-15-2013 10:56 AM

Personal opinion (Your mileage may vary)
In an application where you are attempting to match stain color and depth an oil based wiping stain is your best bet.. Colors may be mixed to achieve your match, or plain oil based pigment added. Best thing is you have good control over color depth. The longer you leave on before "wiping off" the deeper the depth. If you need to, color can be "pulled" by going over a stained area with a cloth damped with mineral spirits. Min-Wax products do not allow this flexibility. Sherwin-Williams makes some good products but you will need to go to one of their "commercial" stores to obtain them.

bblument 10-15-2013 12:09 PM

I just finished installing two new compression posts, a new crossbeam (which supports my deck-stepped mast), and bulkheads in my Pearson 26. The posts and crossbeam are constructed from white oak, and I used Russian Birch plywood for the bulkheads. I'd heard a lot of negative things from almost everyone about Minwax, so I steered clear of that. The only other easily accessible wipe-on stains in my area were made by ZAR. I used their teak stain, and by varying the number of coats and time before wiping off excess, I got the two different woods to look very much alike. I finished everything with seven coats of spar varnish (not urethane). I'm very happy with the results. The ZAR was very easy to work with, very controllable, and covered great.

I don't know if any of that is applicable to your question or not, but I thought I'd post it just in case. I DID seal the exposed edges of the plywood w/ epoxy prior to finishing.

Best to you,

Barry

svHyLyte 10-15-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceangirl (Post 1104776)
Our interior is Teak, it is the darker of the PSC teak stains used that is on our teak.

If you have off-cuts of the material, you might try different combinations of stains to see what works best for your application. Remember, also, that close is often good enough for everyone but the craftsmen him- or herself who is often their own toughest critic. Flaws one sees in one's own work are often not even noticed by others.

FWIW...

BMLipiec 10-17-2013 06:47 PM

Oceangirl,
Some teak darkens with age, but some like our boat turns more reddish. When we bought some Alpenglow lights we initially bought the teak versions and had to return it because it did not match our interior. After talking to Alpenglow's customer service they said it was common for that to happen and she suggested mahogany might match better. We bought that and it matched very well. Marya recently added pictures of the lights on our website for reference.

When I made the wood mounting ring for our electrical switch I used african mahogany and it also matched the teak interior pretty well. However, not all mahogany is the same; I tried using honduran mahogany and the grain and color do not match very well.

As for stain on the birch ply, you might get lucky with a mahogany color.

oceangirl 10-18-2013 12:32 PM

Thanks, that was my plan :) was going to use a pre stain sealer, stain with a teakish shade, then a nice red mahogany. I had wanted to just paint the darn thing black but my hubby and friend had worked so hard to match the grain lines to surrounding wood, so don't have the heart to cover up all that work( plus my hubby put his foot down :) ). I used to do this for a living, but it has been a while. Hopefully it will all come back to me as I work.
Starting the project in the next week, will post results to help the next person who might tackle a job like this.

oceangirl 10-31-2013 01:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update:
I pre stained then I used a brown mahogany stain. I applied the first stain to streak on the wood, to give a grain look. I then applied a deep red mahogany stain. It is looking really good. I still want to apply one more coat of red mahogany, then a tung oil, then varnish (radio cabinet) or epoxy ( compost head). We are back in Austin for family stuff, should finish up project soon.
Here is a general shot of the main compost head panel. I still need more stain and then epoxy but I think it will look pretty much like aged mahogany, won't match our wood perfectly though.

oceangirl 10-31-2013 01:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I started with