Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2013

ktm is on a distinguished road
Rebedding

Hello All:

At what age PSC does re beading start to become an issue. How hard is it to re bed the chain plates and deck fittings? I am sure there would be an issue with the head liner and access to the inside bolts for the chain plates. Thanks.

Ken
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
re: Rebedding

Depends on environmental conditions - up north - tropics ? Type of existing bedding compound (at least a dozen different compounds). Depends on type of chainplates .... another dozen or so methods of securement. Not really enough information for an informed response.
Old 10-26-2013

ken613 is on a distinguished road

Re beding of the chain plates and deck fittings is a generic. Has anyone re beded the chain plates and deck fittings and what was the level of complexity as far as access.
Old 10-26-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

My PSC is a 1994 model. It is only used seasonally in Maine and covered in the winter. I had the chain plates removed, inspected, polished and rebedded last year(2012). There is a bit of interior trim removal to get at the bolts. 2 of the chain plate bolts were slightly cracked on the head of the bolt. We replaced all the bolts and standing rigging. The plates were fine and there were no leaks. I have not done any deck rebedding yet and have have no leaks or leak history.
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Old 10-27-2013

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road

Our 94' model developed a leak around the forward overhead hatch about a year ago. So far, no other leaks that I have seen.

As far as access goes for deck hardware, most of it is not easily accessible. Stuff near the center line of the boat will be easier because you can unzip the headliner and reach in to get to it. However, PSC stapled a thin foam insulation layer directly to the underside of the deck, requiring you to cut holes in it to access the bolt heads.

Hardware near the outer edges of the deck are inaccessible without at least partially removing the headliner. The handrails inside the cabin (and the dorade rings) block access to the bolts for the topside handrails. We just recently installed mast pulpits on Indigo and the inboard feet were easy to access (except in the head). I was able to unzip the headliner and work my hand in to add backing plates and tighten the bolts. The outboard feet access was another matter entirely. In order to get a backing plate and wrench there, I had to pull the staples on the outboard edge of the headliner. I haven't yet tried to reinstall the headliner but suspect it will not be easy.
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm View Post
How hard is it to re bed the chain plates
Replacing the chain plates on 20 yo boats is pretty common. I have two friends who did it recently, one did it himself, the other professionally. IIRC Professional job was $3000 total. DIY job was about 3 hours per chain plate as I recall. The guy who did it lurks on this forum and might jump in to give more details.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-28-2013

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
Re: Rebedding

On my 1982 C37 I rebedded all of the foredeck hardware over a period of several years.None was easy but no boat that I know of is easy.I did not do the rebedding because of leaks but because I thought I should do it.The only leak I ever had was a dorade leaking under the mushroom.I cant imagine pulling the chainplates just to rebed them as it requires serious wood removal in the salon.The factory used a generous amount of 5200 on all the hardware that I have removed and none came off easily.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139