Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Show Me Pictures of your Anchoring Arrangement

Our arrangement is deeply unsatisfactory and needs to be changed. Anyone have pictures of their system? Especially features you are really happy with?

I don't really care what kind of anchor you have, this is more about the system and the method of deployment/retrieval.

We have a SeaTiger, but for some reason has no hole in the deck for the chain to drop down. Makes retrieval a major PITA. There is a hawse on the rope side of the windlass, but a good 18 inches from the windlass.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
re: Show Me Pictures of your Anchoring Arrangement

PBzeer Gallery - My Photo Gallery

My locker lid was delaminated when I bought the boat. There was a stainless steel plate across where the windlass is. I fabricated a solid piece of fiberglass to replace the SS, and then recored the rest of the lid. Then screwed a piece of starboard with a slot to hold the second anchor.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 10-29-2013

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
re: Show Me Pictures of your Anchoring Arrangement

Raindog,

We have a Muir vertical manual windlass (Australia). It works like a sheet winch on the retrieval, but has a clutch for dropping. Lots of leverage and speed. I can crank our 3/8" chain in as fast as most electrics without the worry of motor or electrical failure (I've won bets on this twice). It sits on a piece of teak that is molded to direct the chain down the hawse pipe with no hangups going or coming. The pipe is a 2-1/2" bronze through hull fitting. This lash-up works very smoothly and has done so for seven years.

Pictures are at Outfitting6Solar (bottom of page) and here, Outfitting2

After these pictures, I installed a chain stopper forward of the windlass. Picture here, OutfittingFinal

After you click on the thumbnail for these pictures, click on the actual picture and it will enlarge again.

Let me know if you need closer pictures.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan

Last edited by DaveMancini; 10-29-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-29-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Show Me Pictures of your Anchoring Arrangement

I posted this in another thread;
Quote:
Several people have asked me about my ground tackle setup, so I thought that I would post this here to explain what it is, and how I use it.

Below is a diagram of how I would deploy the anchor if I needed the greatest holding power (storm).

The optional 10' of 1/2" chain weighs about 34lbs, and acts like a kellet, except that it will not chafe the nylon anchor rode. To be honest, I have not had the need to use it in the 3 years that I have hade the boat, and am afraid of having to haul it up with the two arm windlass. The windlass is getting old and creaky...

The usual setup is to deploy the 33lb Rocna on 25' of 5/16" HT chain.

You'll notice that the retrieval line is tied, with a float to the thimble at the end of the 5/8" nylon rode. The float keeps the lightweight line from getting tangled on the bottom, and should the nylon line ever be cut, it would make retrieval easier. I believe that I have a better chance of catching this with a grappling hook. Because I don't usually anchor in more than 30' of water, if I untie the line from the thimble, it would act as an anchor marker.

I tried the anchor a couple of times without the retrieval line. I found that it was hard to break free, and it hauled up about 15 lbs of bottom. Now that I use the retrieval line, the anchor breaks free MUCH easier, and it only brings up about 5lb of muck.

Ya' it's a Chinese made Rocna; but it works fine, fits my bow roller, and sets right every time.

Here are two pictures showing how it fits on the bow;

I use the retrieval line as a safety, in addition to a stainless steel carabiner hooked to the Rocna's rollbar, to keep the anchor secure on the bow roller.

I'm putting this here for my benefit, but if it helps someone else, you're welcome.
Craig Smith commented that he believed that I would have better holding power if I moved the heavier chain nearer the anchor. I disagreed, and he never replied. You can read all about it here:Ground Tackle for an O'day 35

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-29-2013 at 05:33 PM.