SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   31 genoa car (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/106881-31-genoa-car.html)

wmjr 11-20-2013 01:28 PM

31 genoa car

The pin (plunger?) for the genoa car on my '87 Pacific Seacraft is broken. Does anyone know a good source for a replacement?

I believe the car is a Lewmar but web searches so far are confusing. The track is 1 1/4 inches wide. (If it is Lewmar then it is probably more accurately 32 mm).

If I can't find the pin then what would be the suggestions for a car to use on 32 mm or 1.25 inch track? I don't race (unless there is a boat going the same way) but I do like to get what I can out of the sails.

John
Watermark
PSC 31 #28

Stumble 11-20-2013 03:11 PM

Re: 31 genoa car

If you know what you have you can probably get a rebuild kit. The pull pin type typically are pretty simple, with just a plunger and spring.

If you can't figure it out, SCHAEFER Stainless-Steel Genoa Slides at West Marine has a universal car for about $70.

wmjr 11-20-2013 09:29 PM

Stumble,

Thanks, I have not found any rebuild kit yet. It is really old. Maybe a trip down to Minney's in Costa Mesa is in order. The slide looks to me like it would be very difficult to adjust with any pressure at all on it.

It would be nice to find a plunger that fit. I was hoping a 31 owner might have run in to the problem already. The old plunger button was cracked. All it does is push down the spring in the plunger. Hard shape to recreate though.

wmjr

Stumble 11-21-2013 12:42 AM

These old parts just don't normally have rebuild kits. Small manufacturers often went out of business, and no one wanted their old catalog.

If you are worried about adjusting under load I would really recommend looking at moving jib cars. They are a bit more expensive, but much easier to play.

wmjr 11-21-2013 01:10 PM

Tempting, but all the extra lines and blocks sound a little too much. It is usually just two or three adjustments per day. My sailing is not that advanced and, as I said, I don't race.

I was hoping (wishing?) that there was a more simple solution. A super slippery car maybe with a clever little easy to release pin.

Thanks,

wmjr

adamowens 11-22-2013 02:16 PM

John,
I recently replaced the genoa cars on Journey (PSC31 #29) with Garhauer cars. They are LLC-2 and cost something like $65 each. The quality is great for the price.

Adam
PSC 31 Journey

wmjr 11-23-2013 10:49 AM

Adam,

Thanks. I have a pin coming from someone who has a spare but the button? for the pin on the other side is looking brittle as well. I will look at the Garhauers very closely.

Appreciate it,

John