Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to streamline storage and dishwashing

We've broken two glass french presses. We finally found a large stainless one from Starbucks. Four years and going strong. No filters, no mess.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMancini For This Useful Post:
Caboman (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013
Banned

Caboman is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dave,
That makes even more sense.
Last French Press went into the drink when I was trying to dump grinds. The glass container slipped out of the plastic handle framework.

Heading to Starbucks today !

Keith
Old 11-29-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

REI sells a really nice insulated metal french press.
DaveMancini likes this.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to RainDog For This Useful Post:
Caboman (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013
Banned

Caboman is on a distinguished road

Thanks Raindog !!

Oddly enough I did some searching around shortly after I read Dave's idea on stainless Press. After a bit of research I bought the REI unit.

Keith
Old 12-01-2013

cheoah is on a distinguished road

So I have noticed there is a lot of space behind the pull down dish cabinet, but you have to remove the hinges to pull it, so I'm not sure that is practical storage as-is. Lomg term items maybe. The height of the items you can place in there is limited or the thing wont shut, or open if items move around while closed. All in all, not super crazy about that cabinet but not a big deal.

+1 on the paper plates for short summer cruises with the entire family. 10" plates don't fit though.

We keep our pots and pans under the nav desk, what do ya'll keep in there?

FRying pan under the force 10 oven? Cool. Had not noticed that as a viable storage area, but I'm a minimalist and don't have a problem with space so much as organization. I've had the boat 3 years now and I've yet to really nail down my storage program.

I don't drink coffee much but have a french press for m'lady or other guest. It is plastic and made by the same company that makes fragile glass ones I have seen break over the years.

Silicon teapot? Where have I been?

Hanging on the fiddle behind the sink, I have a wooden 12" x 18" (roughly) dish rack/extra counter space hanging there. We put a towel on it and the dishes dry there. That's all I really have to add to this thread

Thanks for the good idears-
Old 12-02-2013

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road

Cheoah,

I'd sure like to see a picture of that dish rack arrangement, if it's not too much trouble.

Dave

Last edited by DaveMancini; 12-02-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-02-2013

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

Irish Eyes does not have the normal pull down dish storage arrangement aft of the ice box lids. In its place are two sliding smoked acrylic doors (sort of like tiny patio doors). When we got the boat there were semicircular teak moldings which obviously restrained pots from sliding about. We could not find pots to fit, so we removed the moldings. We keep the (no longer available) Figor nesting cookware, two frying pans, two flame tamers, and I can't remember what else on the bottom of the cabinet. On a shelf that spans the cabinet rest the overnight sailing snack crackers and breakfast bars. Everything is wedged in place with potholders.

There is a switched light and a circulation fan in the refrigerator side of the ice box. A pair of thermostat controlled small fans move air over from the freezer side to keep the beer cold.

We have the optional cabinet on the bulkhead aft of the galley. Glasses and bowls go in there. In addition to the usual dome light over the stove, there is a dome light under that cabinet.

We have the optional cabinet over the sinks. It has two sliding acrylic doors matching the ones behind the ice box. Spices rest in a wood box on half of the bottom shelf. The rest of the cabinet is filled with canned goods, soup mixes, mustard, ketchup, and whatever else. We try to keep the cabinet completely full so that the things in it do not shift around. We just move cans up from the main non-perishable food storage area under the nav seat when things get a little loose. There is a third dome light, a Camfro fan, and a paper towel dispenser mounted under this cabinet. On the forward face of the cabinet are a couple of the usual teak dish and cup holders.

We have a Hillerange Princess stove. It has a stainless steel arc set into the aft side of the stove cutout with five holes drilled in it. We can lock the stove in any of the five holes to hold it level, or we can let it swing free. There is a separate sixth hole much farther back (to port) that the stove can be locked into to hold it out of the way when we get things out from under the stove. Right now those things are a copper tea kettle, a stainless steel tea pot, a pancake grill for the stove top, and a waffle iron for the stove top.

I cut out a piece of 1/4" acrylic to jam fit in our oval galley porthole. Mounted in a hole in the middle of the acrylic is a 6" 12v computer fan. It makes a nice exhaust fan when cooking. It gets stored in one of the starboard salon cabinets when not in use.

We have foot pumped cold sea and fresh water in the sinks. Salt water is on the washing side and fresh water on the rinse. The fresh water goes through a carbon filter to remove the chlorine and improve the taste of the foot pumped fresh water in both the galley and the head. There is also the usual hot and cold pressurized water when we have enough water to spare. There is one of the Home Depot pump dish washing soap dispensers on the washing sink with its storage jar in the cabinet to starboard of the sinks.

Our cabinet behind the stove does not have the usual shelf half way up. It is all just empty space. Boxed things -- crackers, cereal, Black Box wine... and bottles -- rum, gin, whiskey, vodka go there along with innumerable plastic storage containers, a collapsible mixing bowl, and the "food while underway" bowls.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 12-03-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Some folks hate the idea of saltwater in the galley because of corrosion concerns. Just saying.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2013

cheoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMancini View Post
Cheoah,

I'd sure like to see a picture of that dish rack arrangement, if it's not too much trouble.

Dave
Sure thing Dave. Ill have to try and dig up a photo - I'm 400 miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2013
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road

I created a small wooden V-Block (like a machinist uses) out of wood. I place this under the nav desk hatch to be used as a spacer between the hatch and the frame of the nav desk thus shimming up the aft side of the nav table hatch so that is is level like the rest of the cabinetry. This new level work surface then doubles as a secondary location for resting pots/pans ingredients during the cooking/cleaning operations. Works great and as we all know we are a bit limited on counter real estate.

Keith
S/V Charity Rose