Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013
Banned

Caboman is on a distinguished road
Trying to streamline storage and dishwashing

Hello all,
I'm trying to streamline everything in my PSC 34 galley.
Considering the following:
1. routing saltwater to one of the foot operated pumps that feed the small spicket over the sink to save on fresh water.

2. Swapping out the faucet for one of those units that has the pull out sprayer type heads

3. Also purchased a teapot, a bowl, a calendar made of collapsable silicon. Great space saver. Waiting for my Magna nestable (ceramic coated) cookware as well. This silicone cookware is awesome! Not sure how long it will last but don't expect it to rust any. Also have a silicone bake dish.

4. Giving up my old fashioned stainless percolator for a french press for coffee. French press much quicker and easier to clean I feel.

5. Cabinet just aft of ice box should hold just about everything

6. Bought a ceramic cutting knife at local drug store. Being ceramic it won't rust and will hold its edge over most blade materials. $17.00

7. picked up 3 Contigo Autoseal Stainless travel mugs. U push a button to drink. when u let go of the button the mug seals back up. Great for red wine if u all know what I mean. Keeps everything hot or cold for hours also.

I'm sure some of you have tried this. Just curious if the results were all you had hoped they would be.

Keith Campbell

PS to all. My previous screename on this forum was mondofromredondo.
However I turned off my previous email address prior to switching this forum's email address over to my new one. I've had no luck contacting the forum administrator for assistance. No replies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Trying to streamline storage and dishwashing

Cabo,
This needs to be sorted as you cannot have two user names. I'm not sure what the problem is but my guess is that having changed your email address you now cannot remember your old password. Is that correct ?

I'm sending you a message. Let me know here if you don't receive it.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-26-2013

steneck is on a distinguished road

Yes, I like most of your ideas. I changed the foot pump in the galley to seawater (took from head intake) and it saved a ton of freshwater doing dishes etc. On my current trip we went for 9 days with 4 people from Bermuda to St. Maarten and used less than 35 gallons of fresh water.

FYI: If you need more space in the galley, take a look behind the pull down dish holder (comes out easily). There must be at least twice the space behind that nifty device.

Good luck with it all.

From Antigua,

Bob Steneck
PSC 34 Christmas Cove Maine
Old 11-26-2013
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Where's the presto pressure cooker got to have one of them saves water and stove fuel get a good one with multiple pressure rockers 5, 10, and 15 psi need fifteen to can meats and seafood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2013
Banned

All good suggestions.
I happen to already have the dish storage rack above the ice box removed. It is as you say a massive storage area.

I continue to have the pressure cooker. However I can't think of anyway to compress it into a smaller size so it will simply have to remain the same size as it is now.

Keith
Old 11-27-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Good choices on that colander, which I bought a few months ago at Ace, and the Contigo Autoseal Stainless travel mug, which I picked up just today at Peet's. The grinds for the French Press are a PITA, but the alternatives for filtering coffee under way are not good either. I'm generally opposed to disposables, but have started to embrace paper plates and bowls to cut down on the amount of dishes in the sink. I splurged on induction cookware for the portable cooktop that someone gave me. It sits on top of a cutting block that fits over the stovetop. Though it's in no way a space saver, it heats up FAST when you're on shore power and saves on trips to fill up the LPG tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 11-27-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

My plan (have not done it yet) is to T off my washdown pump to run pressure salt water to the galley. I pulled out the pressure system, so have manual fresh water. A sprayer would be great for this pressure water.

A collapsable silicon teapot? That is pretty cool.

For space saving on the coffee making front it is hard to beat a Melitta filter and cone. Can make it straight into the cup or a thermos.

I like storing pots, pans, and kitchen gadgets in the locker under the nav desk seat. You can cram lots in there, they will never become projectiles, and you can see everything since it is top opening. I keep all my pots, pans, kitchen gadgets, spare kitchen towels, colanders, mixing bowls, etc. in that one locker.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 11-27-2013
Banned

Raindog,
I like your idea to tap off of the pressure saltwater for sink.
All in all when I think about it I have very little use for fresh water in the galley sink as I carry seperate drinking water for cooking. But can't do away with it all together. Pressurized salt water seems to be the hot ticket.

The Tea pot is a Cuissential silicone tea pot. I also purchased a silicone version of the coffee cone to place over a cup or thermos for making coffee.

The new Magma pots and pans just came out with the ceramic coating. Prior to this only teflon was available for this nestable system.

Currently all my pots and pans go in the locker below nav table as well.
However I hope to transition all of them to the locker directly behind ice box.

Locker under Nav Table will be shelved with appopriately sized rectangular tupperware for odds and ends.
Old 11-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
For space saving on the coffee making front it is hard to beat a Melitta filter and cone. Can make it straight into the cup or a thermos.
This is what we do.. straight into a thermal mug or the thermos itself, we grind our own bulk beans, not 'purist', but works well, is quick. However I did get a brutal burn one day in a rolly anchorage in Barbuda when the freshly poured filter tipped over onto my hand. Spent the next two weeks swimming with my left hand in a baggie....

We store a stew pot and misc towels etc in the space under the stove. Handy and otherwise wasted space.

We have pressure water but also a freshwater foot pump.. using the foot pump when we can saves water and saves power. Another thing we did was find a plastic tub that fits into the sink.. it's smaller by about an inch all around, so saves water too, and no chance of the sink plug leaking and losing water that way. It's also a less rattle-y place to put dishes underway until we can wash them.. and it's always handy for other 'bucket' like tasks.

A Brita faucet filter means we only filter water we plan to drink.. not everything that runs through the system. Filters last longer.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-27-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

Cabo, your thoughts all sound pretty good and I will incorporate some of them. I store a medium and a large Alclad fry pan under the oven. I tried the French coffee press but I missed the smell of coffee brewing in the morning, so I'm back to my percolator. Seems like the " serious cruisers" all have salt water faucets, but I still like fresh water and if I ever do a passage of extended duration I'll bring a few extra cans. Al
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon