SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Noise from dockline passing thru Hawse Pipe (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/112433-noise-dockline-passing-thru-hawse-pipe.html)

mondofromredondo 12-17-2013 10:03 AM

Noise from dockline passing thru Hawse Pipe

This is driving me crazy !!

As PSC's have these very nice bow hawse pipes for running lines thru, my docklines naturally run from the bow cleats thru the hawse pipes to the dock cleats. I use cotton firehose type material for chafe.

Problem is when I am in the V-birth the tension that gets exerted on the dockline as the boat moves in the slip translates into noise as the dockline rubs the hawse pipe under tension.

It feels like I'm in a speaker box. It's quite loud and I'd imagine most of you know exactly the sound I'm speaking of. Or perhaps you all know the secret. If so, can anyone enlighten me on a good means to eliminate this noise? Would leather chafe make the difference? I've even imagined some form of teflon to use as chafe but that doesn't seem practical or possible.

Best to all !
Keith Campbell
PSC 34 S/V Charity Rose

wmjr 12-17-2013 10:20 AM

Re: Noise from dockline passing thru Hawse Pipe

Keith,

I use the corrugated looking rubber hose from West Marine. Corrugated on the outside but smooth inside. It is a lot bigger diameter than the dock line. I think it is designed for the head.

I don't hear any noise at all from the docklines.

John
PSC 31 #28

Zanshin 12-17-2013 10:27 AM

I've used liquid fabric softener on ropes and docklines in the past to keep them both supple and quiet, this might reduce a large proportion of the noise you are hearing. Is your noise a creaking from the lines themselves or a rubbing between the lines and hawsepipe?

Stumble 12-17-2013 11:22 AM

Two things...

1) the sound is likely caused by the line stretching as the boat moves. Try New England Ropes - Product Details this should eliminate any stretch on the boat.

2) most chaff guards and certainly anything waterproof (like hose) prevent the line from cooling properly and lead to premature line failure. Better to go without.

zeehag 12-17-2013 12:51 PM

i do not tie my boat so tight as to require antichafe or to make noises.
noises means damages.
i allow my boat to ride comfortably with a slight amount of play. no noise. NO CHAFE. i have used same docklines now thru 18 ts and 2 furycames. no chafe whatsoever.

Faster 12-17-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondofromredondo (Post 1225905)
This is driving me crazy !!

...... It's quite loud and I'd imagine most of you know exactly the sound I'm speaking of.

Aaahhh.... the dreaded 'GRONK'! ;)

Tying the boat up with a bit of slack can help ease this some.. but if there's wave action or strong breeze you'll eventually fetch up with tension again anyhow.

We've found the worst for noise was using low stretch line (like old sheets) for mooring lines. Good nylon seems quieter. Cloth rags under the contact point reduced the noise as well. In extreme cases I've mover the lines to stanchions and pulpit bases to avoid the 'dragging' line through a chock or fairlead/hawse, but you need to be sure it's adequately strong. A bowline loop on polished stainless will 'gronk' much less than a round turn and hitch, which will tend to 'roll' around the post with alternating tension.

Tough to sleep through, that's for sure!!

cheoah 12-17-2013 01:42 PM

Dude you're not alone. I'm never tied to the dock, but it happens at anchor and mooring in any wind and it does make a lot of noise in the V-berth. It hasn't bothered me enough to take action - yet - but just last time I did think I would stick something else in there to make it stop. It is as bad or worse as halyards in a gale sometimes. Loud.

this noise would happen whether you were tied tightly or if you gave her her head a the dock. ANytime there is tension through the hawse hole it starts "squeaking".

Try the rubber. I also use that same chafe material you use on my 3 strand, possible that other highly rated chafe product or double braid might change it. Not sure what it is called, it was in the press within the last few years, black I think, less friction maybe.

mondofromredondo 12-17-2013 03:35 PM

All excellent suggestions that I will try. I have however experimented with different types of line. The squeak comes as the line becomes taut in the pipe and then suddenly slips/drags/rubs the contact point of the hawse pipe. I'm going to start of with fabric softener as I've heard of this before. I have tried securing loosely as well as tight with no large improvement. I am determined to get to the bottom of this. Seems I always think of this most when I'm 1/2 awake wishing I could get to sleep.

The corrugated hose sounds interesting as well as the New England Ropes.

Thanks to all !

Side note: Called Thumper at PSC this morn as I'm considering changing from the sole mounted table set to the bulkhead version. Would certainly open up a ton of space. Anyone make this conversion? Anything good or bad to say about it? I know I should probably start another thread but I'm throwing it out there. I'll bet its pricey !!
Thumper is darned knowledgeable.

Thanks All!

pdqaltair 12-17-2013 04:14 PM

a. I treated many of my lines with water repellant made for climbing ropes. It replaces the spinning lubes and stopped all of the squeaking under load, even in an ancient mainsheet. By reducing internal abrasion, it extends the life of older lines. Also, the product goes a LOT further than the label says; just keep using what's left in the bucket for more lines.

Wash in waterproofing for rope | Rope Proof

In some ways it is like fabric softener, but many times more effective and longer lasting. Hey, it MADE for ropes.

b. Tubular webbing makes cheap, long-lasting, quiet, and non-water proof chafe gear. I've used this for 25 years. $0.68/foot. The small 1" webbing works for lines 7/16" and smaller.

BlueWater 2" Climb-Spec Tubular Webbing - Free Shipping at REI.com

newhaul 12-17-2013 06:02 PM

Quick question are you running shock lines or just a single bow line