SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rope Clutch With Lever Pointing Forward

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  jimgo 
#1 ·
We need to replace our rope clutches. I am trying to locate a good quality rope clutch that can fully unlock at 90 degrees or a clutch lever that pulls from bow to stern stern to unlock. We are designing a dodger which will come very close to the forward part of the clutches.

Thanks
Erika

#3 ·
Jim - our current rope clutches open away from the cockpit, towards the front of the boat. They need to be opened 180 degrees to release the line. That means the dodger would need to be at least 7 inches forward of the clutches to make them usable.

We want to replace them with clutches that pull toward the cockpit, or that only need to be opened 90 degrees. That would allow is to put the dodger just a few inches in front of the clutches.

#8 ·
New here and but we have the dodger design problem to face soon too. Does moving the foot print of the dodger 6 inches forward create problems on deck?
I have noticed that it is tight around the clutches on other PSC's.

#10 ·
That is a delema...Thumper told me that they moved the winches and clutches back on the newer design to correct that. I would expect that we would have to have a tall pass thru on the front of the dodger or a flap of sorts. I am hoping our canvas designer can figure that one out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.