Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014

Hush34 is on a distinguished road
Mast Painting

We are trying to decide whether or not to completely repaint our mast or do touch up. We had to get new spreaders from La Fiell and were surprised to see they were not painted. We also have a few places to touch up where the halyards wore the paint away.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2014

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast Painting

I keep retouching mine as they will always need touch up as they see a lot of wear and tear! ...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 01-28-2014

That's what I'm thinking...new paint job would probably be banged up within a short time.
Old 01-29-2014

svjobeth is on a distinguished road

Rich, as you know, we're repainting our mast. The new boom from LeFiell is coming from them painted. LeFiell uses Sterling. I'm very curious as to why the spreaders you got were not painted.

I expect the paint to be dinged and banged up in a fairly short time, but our overall reason for painting is not so much cosmetic, but protective. We're lucky, given the age of our spars (30 years this year), that we didn't have more deterioration and corrosion than we do - and we want to keep it that way.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 01-30-2014

It was a case of assume....I assumed that they would be painted but they arrived bare. It is going to be a bit of work but I guess, I'll add it to the list and check it off when done. I am going to stay away from repainting the whole mast. I don't think anyone can repaint the mast to the standards that le fiell.
Old 01-31-2014

Total Chaos is on a distinguished road

I am talking to a yard right now about having my masts painted with Awl Grip any thoughts on this paint system for the masts?
Old 01-31-2014

There is a you tube video where a guy paints his mast with awlcraft 2000, an awlgrip product. I don't think the paint is as important as the metal prep. It is very important to etch any bare aluminum before applying zinc chromate primer. If the person prepping the mast takes short cuts the paint job will bubble up and peel away. I would quiz the yard a bit to see exactly what prep they will do. In addition, when the reattach the mast hardware it will need to be electrically isolated by spacers and or tef gel. Hope this helps!
Old 01-31-2014

Total Chaos is on a distinguished road

The mast hardware will need to be electrically isolated? I'll have to look at the hardware right now. The masts were previously painted but could use a repaint, no pealing as of yet on the masts but the paint is still looking shabby and the masts are going to be off the boat anyway.
Old 01-31-2014

svjobeth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Chaos View Post
The mast hardware will need to be electrically isolated? I'll have to look at the hardware right now.
There just needs to be something non-conductive between the aluminum mast and the bronze or stainless winches, cleats, etc. to prevent a corrosion friendly environment from setting up.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Last edited by svjobeth; 01-31-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 02-01-2014

The issue of having to isolate the hardware is because all your mast hardware is not aluminum. When you attach a piece of stainless steel to aluminum you your are in effect starting electrolysis. The more "noble" metal, stainless steel, in contact with the less "noble" metal, aluminum begin a process of electrolysis. This can be undetectable or can result in the flaking and corrosion of the aluminum. One way to avoid the powdery mess and flaking of your paint is to isolate one metal from the other. You can do it with various gaskets and by using tef gel on all screws you put into the hardware and mast. If you have a winch on you mast, you will definitely want to isolate it from the mast with a pad of some sorts. Your boat yard should be very familiar with this issue and if they are not, I would suggest not using them and finding another. Just MHO.