Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
Microwaves vs. Crealocks'...

...or something to that effect.

Lisa and I are trying to find a place for a microwave on our 34. For those that have them aboard, let's see your installation - pics, diagrams, anything will be helpful!
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2014
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Re: Microwaves vs. Crealocks'...

Our 34 had the dish rack cabinet removed by the previous owner and the micro and coffee pot reside in that space now. I wired a dedicated receptacle to power both. Lots of unused space behind that dish rack cabinet so was a good trade off.

John S
S/V Norstar
PSC #201
Attached Thumbnails
Microwaves vs. Crealocks'...-pb020062.jpg  

Last edited by Norstar; 03-04-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2014
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

You can build a shelf up over the sinks( where the optional cabinet is on the PSC web site).
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Old 02-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norstar View Post
Our 34 had the dish rack cabinet removed by the previous owner and the micro and coffee pot reside in that space now. I wired a dedicated receptacle to power both. Lots of unused space behind that dish rack cabinet so was a good trade off.
That's my favored spot. We pulled out the dish rack drawer/bin in favor of it, but now she's talking about putting it back in place for dishes, cutlery, etc. I agree though, it seems the most practical spot.

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34crealock View Post
You can build a shelf up over the sinks( where the optional cabinet is on the PSC web site).
We have that cabinet; if memory serves, ours was the first PSC to have it as the original owners designed it and had the factory install it - or so I've been told. Anyway...when we bought Jo Beth, that's where their ancient, power hungry unit was located, power supply in one of the cabinets. However, it broke up the 'flow' of the cabin space. Plus, we have plans to install an AlpenGlow LED light there.

Both good suggestions, and the dish rack space behind the icebox is where I'd like to see it. One of the projects we're doing as a part of the refit is converting the q-berth to a cockpit locker. (Albeit a dry locker - seems our monkey fur was put on with 5200 or some similar adhesive.) Lisa's new favorite place for the microwave (in her vision) is on a shelf right in front of the bulkhead which will seal off the cabin from the locker space. Not my favorite location as I often use the chart table to work from, and I'm not sure how well we could secure it for sea.

Let's hear some others!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 02-10-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norstar View Post
Our 34 had the dish rack cabinet removed by the previous owner and the micro and coffee pot reside in that space now.
is the curved fiberglass piece gone too? I removed the teak tilt out part long ago. I tried to remove the curved fiberglass piece, but it seems like it will have to be cut out. I am a bit afraid to do so without knowing what is back there. I am assuming if I remove it, it is never going back in.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

Old 02-10-2014

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post
One of the projects we're doing as a part of the refit is converting the q-berth to a cockpit locker. (Albeit a dry locker - seems our monkey fur was put on with 5200 or some similar adhesive.) Lisa's new favorite place for the microwave (in her vision) is on a shelf right in front of the bulkhead which will seal off the cabin from the locker space. Not my favorite location as I often use the chart table to work from, and I'm not sure how well we could secure it for sea.
Something like this:

I copied the photos from Yachtworld's PSC 34 listings.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 02-10-2014
Maine Dub

Bill,and Bill, now there is something completely different. I like the idea of more light in the galley. I still am casting about for the best place to put the SSB. It is too long to fit in the radio panel to starboard of the nav table.
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Old 02-11-2014

Bill & Al,

We found that same boat on YW a few months back when we decided this would be the year to refit. The Q-Berth conversion is one thing we've wanted to do since day one, and converting the nav station to something akin in the images is also in the plans - but for down the road. I really like the 'stand-up' concept here, and I could be happy with the microwave install accordingly. The conversion of the Q-Berth is the beginning; we're also consolidating our electrics to the hinged panel as seen in the pics, (we currently have two separate DC panels and one AC panel) and minimal electronics. Ah, a look towards the future...

We probably will go with a SAT phone & FAX over SSB when the time comes, but no hard decision on that as of yet.

- Mark Twain
Old 02-12-2014
Maine Dub

I use my Qberth for storage, ditch bag, life raft and spares aft. I'll have to rethink some of these things. I like to be able to clean the water tank also.PSC replaces the water tank with a fuel tank for some folks. Great for passage making but now you need water maker or many jugs. It is all a trade off . The Sat phone does seem to be the simple solution for the odd passage. Al
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34crealock View Post
I use my Qberth for storage, ditch bag, life raft and spares aft. I'll have to rethink some of these things. I like to be able to clean the water tank also.PSC replaces the water tank with a fuel tank for some folks. Great for passage making but now you need water maker or many jugs. It is all a trade off . The Sat phone does seem to be the simple solution for the odd passage. Al
We've done the same with the q-berth, except we've used the 'wet-locker' area under the chart table for our ditch bag, EPIRB, and other safety gear. Dragging stuff out of the q-berth is a pain as it is, and in an emergency, it would become problematic, I imagine.

We're replacing both water tank lids and the holding tank lid with new fiberglass ones from PS. Our current ones are wood, and after thirty years, are in poor shape. With the q-berth to locker conversion, we've had the inspection port on the aft tank lid moved aft so the new cabin bulkhead won't interfere. And FWIW, this is not a 'watertight' installation. The bulkhead will be cleated and caulked, not glassed, so we can remove it for access of the water tank lid if needed. Plus, we're leaving the monkey fur in place. This will be a 'dry' storage locker, much like the q-berth always was, but with access from above.

- Mark Twain

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.