Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hughmac12

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014

Hughmac12 is on a distinguished road
Pacific Seacraft forum

If any PSC Crealock 34 owners haven't seen this impressive website, search Voyage of the Swan - A Pacific Seacraft 34 is Selected, Outfitted and Cruised Offshore (sorry, Sail Net does permit direct URL links for newcomers).

Not only does the author rationally and articulately explain his decisions on outfitting his Crealock 34, but he brings a solid human touch to the subject and his subsequent cruising with his wife - and all this with great photographs to boot. Keep up the good work, Dave and Rhonda! Inspiration for us all.
Bailiwick Bill likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Re: Pacific Seacraft forum

Thanks Hugh. Much appreciated.

Dave
Old 02-12-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Dave - I noticed on Luckness blog that you use very little diesel. Can you comment on your experiences cruising the Pacific with very little engine use? Do you just drift a lot, or does your drifter keep you moving pretty much all the time?
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-13-2014

Hi Brian,

I hate running the engine. It's a quirk of mine. The first boat I sailed to the South Pacific had no engine of any kind. I was in bliss: no noise, no smell, no maintenance and no expense. The Trade Winds make it totally doable. It's rare they aren't blowing, the prime exception being mornings near islands.

But, yes, if the wind quits blowing, we typically quit moving, unless there's something harder than water about to bump into us. We use the engine to get in and out of tight areas like marinas, although we've sailing in and out of a number of those. We typically sail the hook in and out, unless other boats are too close for safety. And, I have been known to crank the thing when we've sat becalmed a mile from an anchorage when it's about to get dark. But, otherwise, we enjoy honing our sailing skills whenever we can.

We use the drifter a lot. We've sailed many days with it polled out, averaging under 4 kts. Typically, the mainsail is up also with a flattening reef in to keep it from slatting. We have been becalmed for as long as four days straight in which we just drifted. That was on our 49 day passage from the Marshalls to Washington. The four calm days were in the Horse Latitudes as we made our way from the Trades to the Westerlies. The drifter is 2 oz. nylon. If we ever buy another sail, it will be something like a 3/4 ounce drifter or asym to take care of those times when the 2 oz. just won't stay filled.

It's interesting that so much emphasis is put on heavy weather sails, which are rarely used (our trysail has never been out of the bag), and so little on sails for light winds, which are what is experienced more often.

Does it take us longer to get places? Yes, it does. I guess my feeling is that our boat is our home. Wherever we are at, whether we are moving fast, slow or stopped, we are home. We don't have schedules to keep. We love being at sea. So, why use the engine to just get somewhere? It does have it's uses, but we reserve it for those times and enjoy the rest of the time without the noise. Of course, if your situation is different (e.g. you ARE on a schedule), then you'll need to use it more often.

Cheers!

Dave

Last edited by DaveMancini; 02-13-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: addition
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMancini For This Useful Post:
RainDog (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

I hate the engine too, which is what made me ask. We already have an Asym and I would like to also add a drifter. Drifting about in no wind would be fine with us (most of the time) when cruising. We are never really in much of a hurry to get anywhere. So far my main problem is my fuel tank is too big (fuel gets stale). I am hoping it stays that way when we start cruising.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-14-2014
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road

Dave,
I like the way you think! Schedules and cruising don't mix well. Thanks for keeping up your website. I reference it often.

John Schwab
S/V Norstar
PSC 34 #201
Old 02-14-2014

Brian,

I worried about the fuel getting stale too. So far, no problems (knock on teak). For the last seven years I've used a fuel additive which was recommended to me by a diesel guy with 40+ years experience, but there is no way I can be sure it's made any difference.

John,

Your welcome. The site is work, but it's a labor of love.

Dave